Server maintenance Read more... ×
revhead

Pissing me off

Hey guys. I've done the engine n gearbox swap from eb back to ea using 1988 EA engine harness, I've changed it from auto to manual. Using factory manual harness,

I don't have spark or a signal from ignition to starter.

Fuel pump is working, it's a 4.0 into a 88 ea, it should plug in an run

I've fitted new dizzy n coil. New leads

Now being a mechanic, I'm over looking something.

This car DOES NOT HAVE SMART LOCK. c34e9efd466f7ba6049a53b744a9844e.jpg

Sent from my ATU-L22 using Tapatalk

I had an EA but never messed with the wiring. You say that the fuel pump is priming key "on", is there another relay for ignition as well? Are you getting injector signal? Is your computer earthed?

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

I had an EA but never messed with the wiring. You say that the fuel pump is priming key "on", is there another relay for ignition as well? Are you getting injector signal? Is your computer earthed?

Getting no spark no injector pulse even when I x the starter
But nothing when I turn the key.
Batteries fully charged, its all the original wiring an was working fine

Getting no spark no injector pulse even when I x the starter
But nothing when I turn the key.
Batteries fully charged, its all the original wiring an was working fine

It has dash lights an everything works normal up to this point, starter relay clicks. But that's it

just a thought but did you bridge/join the inhibitor switch wires ? this used to be a trap when doing auto to manual on the older falcons, not sure if computer controlled or what in the EA....and maybe you wouldnt hear the relays go if they weren't joined ...i'm not sure on these "modern" cars....

thom will chime in soon with an answer ,but what about the computer maybe the 88 only works with auto,did you swap them.
Ea ecu cannot recognise auto or manual

just a thought but did you bridge/join the inhibitor switch wires ? this used to be a trap when doing auto to manual on the older falcons, not sure if computer controlled or what in the EA....and maybe you wouldnt hear the relays go if they weren't joined ...i'm not sure on these "modern" cars....
Ea ecu doesn't recognise auto or manual, plus I've used oem manual wiring

If the dizzy isn't getting power, then the ECU won't fire the injectors.
I'd be checking some powers and grounds in the engine bay personally.

You may have accidently blown a main fuse?
I'll have a look. I've added a few extra earth's to help.
My tacho freaks put when I turn the key as well. I might pull the dash out as it's split an check behind there as well

I'll have a look. I've added a few extra earth's to help.
My tacho freaks put when I turn the key as well. I might pull the dash out as it's split an check behind there as well

The pip an tacho wire are getting power an the coil is getting power in an out, what I don't have is a signal from starter relay to starter.
If I use a test light I get a signal. Once connected to starter nothing. However if I bridge starter it turns over fine

18 hours ago, revhead said:

The pip an tacho wire are getting power an the coil is getting power in an out, what I don't have is a signal from starter relay to starter.
If I use a test light I get a signal. Once connected to starter nothing. However if I bridge starter it turns over fine

High resistance connection somewhere in that circuit.

It will support a low load - ie test light, but not high current - ie, starter solenoid.

High resistance connection somewhere in that circuit.
It will support a low load - ie test light, but not high current - ie, starter solenoid.
Starter solinod is fine,
As I connect a starter switch to the solinod an the other to positive n press button starter works fine

Maybe run a temp relay to the starter so you can eliminate so much current going through the ignition switch. The starter solenoid takes about 8 amps to pull it in, a relay takes about 20 milliamps.

1 hour ago, revhead said:

Starter solinod is fine,
As I connect a starter switch to the solinod an the other to positive n press button starter works fine

Yes I agree - not the solenoid, look further back into the circuit -

Dodgy relay, dodgy ignition switch, partially blown fuse, loose connection, etc.

Yes I agree - not the solenoid, look further back into the circuit -
Dodgy relay, dodgy ignition switch, partially blown fuse, loose connection, etc.
I pulled the dash out, this car is a very early 88 model an I found a bcm, it has 13 wires only, it must be dead blocking the starter circuit, in eb an later it has 2 wires for starter bue with a red tracer in an out, mine has purple in an blue with red tracer out. Il join these, then hopefully itl start

Well it is badly cracked n I do have another perfect dash here I'm just swapping wiring an Lower plastics6f480c160cae15107b8508b454ce647c.jpg2004808f8a3ac52cfff74f2fdfc869b0.jpg7d46b6717e4e5e1cf20c9ac0dd56ab89.jpg

It's back together an still the same