Server maintenance Read more... ×
Free.51

FC LTD centrecaps

1 hour ago, dex said:

Probably the best way for a top finish would be to get them spun by a wheel doctor ..

may cost a few sheckles more ,, but way worth it 

Yeah, agree.   maybe even paint them, or powder coat.??

16 hours ago, Free.51 said:

Hey guys quick question, will sandpaper get rid of this muck on the wheels?, ive already paint stripped them now in the process of polishing, thanks c1d22c8a82f4f4e49251e621588c4b84.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

if they are like any other ford wheel of the era, they'll be clear coated and that's underneath.
a workmate near 20yrs ago used ripper stripper on his XF Ghia wheels and polished them for days.. before clear coating them again. 

depends how much effort/dollars you have in you whether you do it yourself or not. seeing how rare they are and the car is these days, they'd be a whole lot better done professionally.. but i'd have no idea what the cost would be. 

I'd prefer to keep them polished Bear👍. I have already stripped them with paint stripper Dean 2 pressure pack cans & 1 & a half tins later haha, they were off a cartier so still had the champagne paint in the slots which was a prick to get off. They painted them up really well from the factory thats forsure. Ive got some sandpaper 320 up to 2000 so will give that a go on the worst of the 5 wheels & see how i got then polish them with a polishing ball attachment & by hand. I think it will be too expensive to get professionally & i dont mind putting in a bit of effort myself. 

1 hour ago, Free.51 said:

Ive got some sandpaper 320 up to 2000

just tagged you in My gemini project for the wheels i'm cleaning up, 
one of these type nylon wheels might be handy for hard to access spots
there's a few different shapes, from supercheap(pic is from google, the one i have fits in a impact driver )

pc18046138-high_performance_nylon_wire_w

Just finished painting the 15 slots on the wheels looks really tuff haha & now im thinking i might go a step further & paint the centrecap & wheel nut bores too.9130af5f7b8d4c5596fec8a6595f0c5a.jpg52544ab6a013c4db05770d3af346a53f.jpg8037ea6696a617ba350f4eb114570d93.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

what paint did you choose for the black? 
are you going to clear coat or just keep them polished?

i had a chat to Panko during the week about polishes, and his choice was to use 2 different ones (total cost is around $50) 

but while i was watching youtube clips, i came across several using Mothers Alloy and metal polish which is under $20 at supercheap currently (which i plan on buying)

i'll be blacking out maybe even the back part of My wheels also 

Hey Dean, i used the GM satin blk engine enamel in a can, i used it on my FE wheels too & is also great for heaps of other things like the cowl panel, the windscreen wipers & also to redo the blk bits on the alluminium trims, although i paint stripped all of mine back cos i prefer the whole chrome look. I have clear coated over the paint but will not be clear coating the rest of the wheel cos i wanna keep polishing with a rag from time to time. I used tha Autosol alluminum polish.

17 hours ago, deankdx said:

what paint did you choose for the black? 
are you going to clear coat or just keep them polished?

i had a chat to Panko during the week about polishes, and his choice was to use 2 different ones (total cost is around $50) 

but while i was watching youtube clips, i came across several using Mothers Alloy and metal polish which is under $20 at supercheap currently (which i plan on buying)

i'll be blacking out maybe even the back part of My wheels also 

I remember watching this a few weeks ago👍

1 hour ago, Free.51 said:

. I used tha Autosol alluminum polish.

@Panko used these two products, 
said the autosol wasn't great for final finish, which is what made me go looking for a better all in one ..

stinks and leaves a residue where the bowdens own cleans off easy 

i'm going to try the mothers one, it's under $20 at supercheap 

wonder what @hendrixhc uses? i'd have to go back through pages  to find out 

8023637_autosol_metal_polish_with_sponge

BOMP_250ml.png?20200612130038

1 hour ago, deankdx said:

said the autosol wasn't great for final finish, which is what made me go looking for a better all in one ..

Autosol is good truckies have been using it for years. A cheap old school polish for alloy is a mixture of half brass and kero. The go to for the truckies atm is purple polish have not used it personally but gets great reviews

Dale

1 hour ago, deankdx said:

I might try the bowdens, i already have both autosol ones, metal & alluminium ones in a tube

Just had a look at supercheap website, both mothers & bowdens seem to be really good except mothers is $18 & bowdens is $30. I know the Bowden family collect Aussie race cars & if it is an aussie brand id be happy to pay extra for it.

I think Mother's is Australian too by the look of the website. 

24 minutes ago, Free.51 said:

I think Mother's is Australian too by the look of the website.

No, it's made in USA 

i bought it, it's a small tub but i have no idea how far it will go. 
i'll take pics as i use it when i get back to My wheels. (too many projects.. not enough energy/motivation/time/priority ) 

SCA_1023_hi-res.jpg?sw=558&sh=558&sm=fit

Those wheels are looking good mate!

Yeah the original diamond finish, is created on a CNC lathe - costs about $400/wheel from memory, to have snowflakes done as per factory.

I'm always a fan of restored/polished/mint condition factory alloys.

The LTD should look really nice with those fitted. 😎

Thanks Dave, im happy with how they are coming along. They aren't 100% perfect but they are better than average.

Wow thats expensive!!! these wheels have cost me about $730 so far & counting, thats inc the sale & postage & having the tyres removed & scrapped & the 2 tins of paint stripper & 1 spray can of paint stripper & the polishes & polishing ball & sandpaper Havent even bought all new tyres yet. The cost all adds up

I also forgot about the 20 brand new wheel nuts i got from global trim, theres another $132

Those wheels are looking good mate!
Yeah the original diamond finish, is created on a CNC lathe - costs about $400/wheel from memory, to have snowflakes done as per factory.

I'm always a fan of restored/polished/mint condition factory alloys.
The LTD should look really nice with those fitted.
Thats either expensive or mine were cheap, at $250/wheel.6ce2256f99c8a8e83f241d54a9b1292d.jpg6eab79e48c73de8c20b42690c5b2d900.jpg

2 hours ago, Free.51 said:

this is on sale at autobarn atm for $12.50 so thought i'd buy it see how it goes

typical, i just bought that from supercheap and didn't bother getting a receipt or putting it on the club card  $5 more.. 

be interesting to see how it compares to the autosol,  the mirror finish's videos on youtube, plus being used to polish headlights convinced me to try it. (as did the price)

here's the headlight.. i kind of wish i had one to try it on.. all My cars are glass..
might test it on a cluster plastic perhaps