waderobertson

some help with 34 ADM wiring and hoses

Thought I'd throw this up to avoid completely hi-jacking @Fingers distributor thread. 

I'd appreciate comments/ advice on what I've got going on in around the carby/ intake side of my 250 - which I bought a few years back and haven't touched the engine at all while doing body work and interior. The things been off the road pretty much since I bought it and it remains 'non-legal' so can't even tell you how she runs with any real certainty, except to say it made the Dunedin to Christchurch trip with out shitting the bed. Since then it's been nothing but in and out of the shed and on car trailers to panel and paint. 

I will say that it's always needed plenty of pedal encouragement to start. When it's warmed up she'll crank over nicely but when cold she's a pig and idle has always been a bit 'surgy' - like it idles sweet for a bit then has a wee rough patch where the revs drop and if i wind the idler screw down enough it'll go very close to stalling, kind like when you turn the dizzy a little and revs bottom out. 

Anyway over the last few days and me trawling through old threads (thanks @deankdx @gerg and @Mr Polson for recent comments) it's clear there's a few gremlins lurking about.  As of right now I know the cut off solenoid isn't connected (have another solenoid to fit), the rocker cover gasket needs replacing as oil was dribbling down to plug #4 (I have one here for tomorrow) and there's a question mark over the acc diaphragms.

I'd appreciate any comments on the pics below, namely:

The green cap/housing that should be on the auto choke has gone walk about - is that the actual thermo or just for cosmetics?

The yellow wire that normally goes to the cap is having a good old time hanging out by himself... mine has a black/yellow wire that is plugged in to a 2 plug pin shown in 2nd pic

UBJhjiJl.jpg 

In the pic below you can just see the red wire that normally goes to the cut off solenoid (black plastic just under manifold) is connected to the coil on the same side as the red wire that runs to the dizzy (green wire also running to dizzy from coil). I pulled this wire off the coil yesterday and the engine wouldn't fire with out it... should this be in play or should the coil only have the red & green wires and the lead to the dizzy?

bINHHk4l.jpg

Check out the hose on the right of the image - 2 parts with a threaded join. Kink looks ugly - is that an issue interms of restricting flow?

xI9Sv56l.jpg

Fitting that screws into the top of the manifold - just loops around from the top to the bottom connection. Should that be like that? All other lines and hoses look like they are where they need to be based on pics from others. 

zfsNySHl.jpg

Have you had a read through this?

http://www.ozfalcon.com.au/index.php?/topic/7026-ford-registered-technician-bulletin-34-adm-weber-carb

Should cover most of the carby questions.

I can get some pics tomorrow of how I have the hoses and wires and everything setup on my ute - it's not factory as all the emission stuff is deleted but it runs well.

1 hour ago, waderobertson said:

Thought I'd throw this up to avoid completely hi-jacking @Fingers distributor thread. 

I'd appreciate any comments on the pics below, namely:ck out the hose on the right of the image - 2 parts with a threaded join. Kink looks ugly - is that an issue interms of restricting flow?

i'll do My best from memory, 

(below) firstly that kinked hose.. top part goes to the air cleaner i think, just a vent.. can probably leave it off completely,

the bottom part of the kinked hose, is a vent, definitely leave it off.. (well, as far as i remember. i'll have a look at the thread Mr Polson posted and see if it confirms it)

xI9Sv56l.jpg

this thingy, (below)
i think it's just blocking off a vacuum leak in it's current form.. so that's fine.

i have a feeling one of those ports also goes to the air cleaner normally, and other might go to charcoal canister

zfsNySHl.jpg

yellow wire meant to be on the choke housing, the other end of it plugs into the back of the alternator.. **(unless someone has fitted an XD or similar alternator and there's no plug for it? take a photo for us)
UBJhjiJl.jpg

hard to tell what plug that is below but it could be the COIL WIRES PLUG? positive and negative on the coil. and they've just stolen power for the choke..  take a better pic, showing wire colours
bINHHk4l.jpg

looking at this photo below AGAIN, it doesn't have the ELECTRIC fuel cut off solenoid XFs have, it's got a vacuum one, so should be working in My opinion (found on XEs from memory) 

has the carby got a thin aluminium tag on the cover with a part number like 82DA?????? (other numbers) or 84DA or 86DA etc .. that might help, but i can't remember what had what anymore, they are BASICALLY the same, with a few minor differnces, and @Mr Polson has posted excellent threads/posts covering SOME models of this carby. 

i have 2 here, maybe 3 that i plan to make one working for My gemini, but they are buried currently and i'm not planning to dig them out any time soon. (might find a pic in My gemini thread about half way through, doubt it covers much though.. not a falcon)

zfsNySHl.jpg 

Thanks for the reply @deankdx 

Here's a pic of the tag.

pO20BD8l.jpg

Confirm yellow wire that should go to choke does go to the back of the alternator. (photo doesn't show the wire but I checked under tape)

PWMptWXl.jpg

Close up of the cut off solenoid. end of it is fouled up with what feels/ looks like plastic... can scrape it out with a craft knife. Question, that red wire by the idler screw, should it have power when ignition is on or when cranked... it's at 0 when ignition is on.

B9bPLWYl.jpg

Close up of the plug, confirm Red/Green and Pink/Blue wires from lume. Note the black/yellow wire going up to choke was connected to pink/blue wire that should be on the negative coil terminal... now in the red/green and with expected voltage.

gn5MWL2l.jpg

Another close up of the above this time showing the wires above beside the pink/grey wire that shoots down to the coil... I don't know where this comes from or supposed to go to... 

P7ioU55l.jpg

Close up of coil below. Red and green to dizzy, black condenser wire dangling at the back - I only just saw this today and Uncle Google tells me that's not good and potential for  rough idle etc  

1lVL63Sl.jpg

The only other wire that seems to be having a grand old time hanging out alone is this blue fella...

48aBG5Fl.jpg

19 hours ago, Mr Polson said:

Have you had a read through this?

http://www.ozfalcon.com.au/index.php?/topic/7026-ford-registered-technician-bulletin-34-adm-weber-carb

Should cover most of the carby questions.

I can get some pics tomorrow of how I have the hoses and wires and everything setup on my ute - it's not factory as all the emission stuff is deleted but it runs well.

Yep, slowly working the content into my brain. Also reading through some of your other carby related posts ... it's slowly sinking in.

Okay, here's a few pics of mine. Interesting to note coil power and fuel cut off is same coloured wires.

Like I said, mine doesn't have any emission controls functioning.

Red wire near fuel cut off is Throttle Position Sensor, only on late unleaded XFs with the electronic spark timing.aa2d67b97a914bc5e9bd55586f16c75e.jpg0326e70cd2a2131f762ad33961288257.jpgfa5da908bd2970af72d52f5634d1a7fd.jpg6e294f18bedec1fe7e5bb8d8a6be3e87.jpga646ccc0d57994d1949af6f4aafd96d6.jpgcd8f7be542a70b4276522ab9a0ab5329.jpgd4ccf36abc42f821a628d5dba26b868e.jpg

The spring on mine is an aftermarket addition of my own too, added a auto kickdown bracket and then got a beefy spring, I personally prefer the pedal feel with the spring.

1 hour ago, waderobertson said:

PWMptWXl.jpg

dunno what that alternator is off? but it's not an XF one(looks toyota looking plug on it?  unless E series are same?), might wonder if the wire is actually doing what it's meant to 

Mr Polsons car shows most of your needs i think, 

2 hours ago, waderobertson said:

Close up of the plug, confirm Red/Green and Pink/Blue wires from lume. Note the black/yellow wire going up to choke was connected to pink/blue wire that should be on the negative coil terminal... now in the red/green and with expected voltage.

gn5MWL2l.jpg

the pink and red wires on the plug your choke is picking from is meant to go on the coil normally Pink for negative(only used for tacho i believe if fitted)

2 hours ago, waderobertson said:

Close up of the cut off solenoid. end of it is fouled up with what feels/ looks like plastic... can scrape it out with a craft knife. Question, that red wire by the idler screw, should it have power when ignition is on or when cranked... it's at 0 when ignition is on.

B9bPLWYl.jpg

ah yep, it has vacuum switch things and the electric fuel cut.. swap the other in, beware, sometimes the idle jet sticks to it, sometimes it won't  just make sure if you can that it's correctly assembled

1 hour ago, Mr Polson said:

Okay, here's a few pics of mine. Interesting to note coil power and fuel cut off is same coloured wires.

Like I said, mine doesn't have any emission controls functioning.

Red wire near fuel cut off is Throttle Position Sensor, only on late unleaded XFs with the electronic spark timing.aa2d67b97a914bc5e9bd55586f16c75e.jpg0326e70cd2a2131f762ad33961288257.jpgfa5da908bd2970af72d52f5634d1a7fd.jpg6e294f18bedec1fe7e5bb8d8a6be3e87.jpga646ccc0d57994d1949af6f4aafd96d6.jpgcd8f7be542a70b4276522ab9a0ab5329.jpgd4ccf36abc42f821a628d5dba26b868e.jpg

Thanks very much, really helpful and much appreciated!

33 minutes ago, deankdx said:

dunno what that alternator is off? but it's not an XF one(looks toyota looking plug on it?  unless E series are same?), might wonder if the wire is actually doing what it's meant to 

Mr Polsons car shows most of your needs i think, 

the pink and red wires on the plug your choke is picking from is meant to go on the coil normally Pink for negative(only used for tacho i believe if fitted)

You're right, I just had a pic of the alternator on the donor I have... completely different. 

Appreciate the reply, thanks alot.