scottly

How to get a 250 Crossflow running out of the car

Hey guys,

does any one know the correct wiring to get a 250 crossflow running on a engine stand? 

Is it

. thick cable from starter to + battery

. Cable from starter to + battery to turn it over 

. Cable from + battery to + coil

. + cable from dizzy to + coil 
. thick cable from - battery to earth on engine 

. Cable from - battery to - coil
. - cable from dizzy to - coil

does any one know if this is correct? Also is there a resister in there some where? 

the engine is out of a xd with a alloy head and electronic distributer. 

No earth to dizzy, the module earths itself out through the body, and does this to switch the coil on and off. If you go earthing the coil out, it will charge constantly and not discharge a spark.

The module should have 2 small wires going off into the dizzy (trigger), a positive in from IGN+ with a piggyback off to coil+ (red wire), and coil negative (green wire) back to the module and nowhere else. The only other wire on the coil neg side should be tacho signal, which I assume you're not running, so ignore the fact that the coil could have a piggy back terminal for that.

Alternately, if piggy-backing IGN+ off the module to the coil isn't convenient, you can run IGN+ to the coil then off to the module. Same-same, as long as they both get 12v.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

Gee thanks Gerg, I owe you a beer lol.

I was trying to start the thing with The coil earthed from the battery and it was not producing spark and the coil was warming up rapidly, exactly what you said above.

I had me puzzled, I was like there is only a few wires why isn’t it throwing spark. 

I’ll give it another go tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, scottly said:

I was trying to start the thing with The coil earthed

one of My cars i bought had this as a kill switch...even if you hotwire the coil(power to the + side) it still wouldn't start.

Stupid question but what is a good temp for my car to operate at is just below half ok is quarter optimal. Change coolant doesn’t seem to have made any difference 

Your thermostat controls how hot your engine runs (given that your radiator and fan are up to the job). It doesn't care what kind of fluid is circulating through it. A crossy generally likes between 1/3 and 1/2 on the gauge. 1/4 is a bit cold, sounds like your thermostat might be opening too early, and might need replacing.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk