Free.51

Power Steering hose help needed

10 minutes ago, deankdx said:

assholes of things, 
can see why i enjoy cars without power steering now..  one less thing to annoy Me. 
it's probably the high pressure hose, but hopefully it's the low pressure one, forgot to do the hose clamp up in the last bout of frustration. 

I am hoping its the low pressure one got snagged or some shit even though i didnt mess with that one but knowing my luck its the hi pressure one 

awesome! had this also.. rubbing on something till it rubbed through, also had a car that had the pipe rubbed through(metal rubbing on metal for years )

3 hours ago, Free.51 said:

All fixed now & no leaks.......hallefuckenlujah

Yep me too Dean, last nov i think it was one of my trans cooler lines the metal line was rubbing against the sump & put a hole in it so replaced that then 28 days ago this fri coming the rubber hose off the high pressure line was rubbing against the edge of the torque box for who knows how long.....(put the line in it in 2012 wasnt doing it then) & put a hole in it

I noticed today something i forgot to do mon arvo was zip tie the pipes to the crossmember, i noticed a kink in the hardline & i have no doubt that this is why the return hose failed yesterday bcos the pipes on the passenger side were hanging out a bit & when turning left the steering arm has bloody ripped into the return line & kinked the hardline. I put zip ties on this arvo though to keep the lines as cloe to the crossmember as possible.

Yeah I routed my return line in a completely different way, and I installed P-clamps to secure the steel line to the crossmember as it was rubbing on the inner tie rod end.

Mods could we cut/paste this topic in a new thread? This has useful info that some may want to find later. Cheers

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, gerg said:

Yeah I routed my return line in a completely different way, and I installed P-clamps to secure the steel line to the crossmember as it was rubbing on the inner tie rod end.

Mods could we cut/paste this topic in a new thread? This has useful info that some may want to find later. Cheers emoji41.pngemoji1360.png

Yeah i have them P clamps too Gerg bolted to the engine base plates👍😊

Well yesterday after work i decided to put the crowfeet spanner on the top nut thinking it may still be a bit loose & gave it a turn & bloody snapped the pipe clean off......i should've just left it alone oh well so im back to square 1 atm. Im going to go to Luke's today & get a second hand line off him & fit that

50 minutes ago, gerg said:

Fucken hell mate, did you run over a Chinese bloke or something... I haven't ever seen this much power steering-related bad luck

I know its fucken ridiculous, i dont know whether to laugh or cry. I have NEVER had so much trouble in all the years that ive been mucking around with cars than what im having with this damn power steering line 🤣🤣🤣 

I just fitted my reco steer box and can confirm how hard it is to line up the flare tube and nut to the top of the box while fighting with the hard line.

You just have to give the tube a firm tweak to get the angle right (that's what she said)

2 hours ago, Free.51 said:

Well yesterday after work i decided to put the crowfeet spanner on the top nut thinking it may still be a bit loose & gave it a turn & bloody snapped the pipe clean off......i should've just left it alone oh well so im back to square 1 atm. Im going to go to Luke's today & get a second hand line off him & fit that

this is another reason i liked the crossflow engine .. clevo was such an asshole to work on anything. 
i almost fitted a manual steering box, and if i had another Xseries car i'd do this as soon as i had power steering issues.. sick of them .

i can't explain enough to @BGDAV how many times i leave a small leak Vs trying to fix it (or paying someone else to) only for it to break something or make it worse..
hopefully can get the broken bit out of the box if thats what you broke

this is another reason i liked the crossflow engine .. clevo was such an asshole to work on anything. 
i almost fitted a manual steering box, and if i had another Xseries car i'd do this as soon as i had power steering issues.. sick of them .

i can't explain enough to [mention=97]BGDAV[/mention] how many times i leave a small leak Vs trying to fix it (or paying someone else to) only for it to break something or make it worse..
hopefully can get the broken bit out of the box if thats what you broke
Yeah i unscrewed the fitting from the steering box yesterday, its the top bit where the pirtek guy welded the fitting to the pipe that snapped clean off. Yeah changing spark plugs & doing extractor bolts on the drivers side bank with a v8 is a pain in the arse, cant get a ratchet & socket on no 4 spark plug cos the Power steering line (suprise suprise) is in the way so have to get creative with a socket & a little extension & use multi grips to undo the spark plug, & use a cut down 14mm open ended spanner on the bottom extractor bolt cos otherwise your hitting the firewall.

I changed the ps to manual steering in my ZL to quickly pass rwc cos i was impatient haha. I didnt really like it cos it was hard to reverse park it & parallel park but was good when the car was in motion.6d4344dcbedd58160f9935c4920bfe9c.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

The 11mm ones are actually 7/16" and are aftermarket bolts specific to this application. The factory size ones are 9/16" or 14mm. Thread is 3/8" UNC.

Well i tried fitting the pipe today that i got off Luke but no luck its longer & runs a different route to the one i need so its back to see Luke tomorrow, ill take the pipe i got off him back and also the pipe that is broken but goes the route that i need between the passenger engine mount & sump. And will also need to go to Centrelink aswell as i have been & a lot of my casual workmates have been put out of work for who knows how long cos of the coronavirus.

32 minutes ago, Free.51 said:

Well i tried fitting the pipe today that i got off Luke but no luck its longer & runs a different route to the one i need so its back to see Luke tomorrow, ill take the pipe i got off him back and also the pipe that is broken but goes the route that i need between the passenger engine mount & sump. And will also need to go to Centrelink aswell as i have been & a lot of my casual workmates have been put out of work for who knows how long cos of the coronavirus.

i watched the news today, 
they said you don't NEED to go into a centerlink office(queue out the door and down the street in some places, due to less staff for the social distance rule)
you can do it all online, including getting the CRN (customer reference number) and it will backdate today if needed. even if you do it in a few days.
on Friday Centerlink could only handle 5000 people online at once, today that was raised to 55,000. and it was still packed. so .. you might need to choose a best time/day to apply.

Update took the pipie back to Luke & swapped it for one that went the route that i wanted & managed to only just yesterday get the fitting screwed into the steering box & i used Dean's trick with the ring end of the spanner & kind of manipulated the pipe to the correct angle so that i was able to screw the fitting in & im happy to say that eveything is all in place all tight & there are no leaks woohoooo😁. Thanks for everbody's help much appreciated 👍👍.