Free.51

Power Steering hose help needed

Hi guys, does anyone know the correct size fitting that i could use for my steering box? My ps hose got a hole in it recently & i have bought a brand new hardline but the fitting at the steering box end just will not screw into the steering box. Its an 83 LTD with im told a saginaw unit my mate Ian even ordered in another pipe for me inase the manufacturer has accidently put the wrong fitting on but its the same as the one i bought recently & its very frustrating so now all i wanna do is get a fitting that will screw into my steering box so that i can cut off the flare off tye new pipe & change over fittings & then reflare it & fit it & be back on the road. I knew i should have kept the old pipe but thought that there was no way that the new pipes fitting wouldnt screw in. Any help would be very appreciated thanks-Chris.

7 hours ago, Free.51 said:

Hi guys, does anyone know the correct size fitting that i could use for my steering box? My ps hose got a hole in it recently & i have bought a brand new hardline but the fitting at the steering box end just will not screw into the steering box. Its an 83 LTD with im told a saginaw unit my mate Ian even ordered in another pipe for me inase the manufacturer has accidently put the wrong fitting on but its the same as the one i bought recently & its very frustrating so now all i wanna do is get a fitting that will screw into my steering box so that i can cut off the flare off tye new pipe & change over fittings & then reflare it & fit it & be back on the road. I knew i should have kept the old pipe but thought that there was no way that the new pipes fitting wouldnt screw in. Any help would be very appreciated thanks-Chris.

do you mean the pump?  saginaw is the pump brand

i don't know what the fitting would be, but would imagine originally it would have had a C2 pump originally. maybe it had an adaptor fitted for the saginaw

Yeah Dean i was told that it was a Saginaw pump, the pipe i put on it back in 2012 had no adaptor the fitting just screwed in.

Damn i have posted this in the wrong section😐

30 minutes ago, Free.51 said:

Yeah Dean i was told that it was a Saginaw pump, the pipe i put on it back in 2012 had no adaptor the fitting just screwed in.

Damn i have posted this in the wrong section😐

saginaw power steering pump
an XF power steering hose MAY reach it. 

10148_l.jpg

2 minutes ago, Free.51 said:

Oh my mistake Dean i meant the Steering box itself 

they are assholes of things to get started, i've had to undo the mountings off the engine mount bases and undo it at the pump just to get the angle right to start the thread.
it's probably correct,  don't think there's any other types .

16mm outlet since the late 70s. It's not a standard hydraulic fitting, it's Saginaw's own special one, sort of like a larger version of a brake line double flare with an o-ring in the end. Before that, it was 5/8” thread SAE flare or something, probably like the steering box end

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, gerg said:

16mm outlet since the late 70s. It's not a standard hydraulic fitting, it's Saginaw's own special one, sort of like a larger version of a brake line double flare with an o-ring in the end. Before that, it was 5/8” thread SAE flare or something, probably like the steering box end

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

its the steering box fitting, not the pump after all.. 

they are assholes of things to get started, i've had to undo the mountings off the engine mount bases and undo it at the pump just to get the angle right to start the thread.
it's probably correct,  don't think there's any other types .

Ive done all that too Dean no luck, my gf went to enzed yesterday & got a fitting & adaptor so we will see what happens this evening

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

i've put a ring spanner over the pipe and a ring spanner over the nut part and bent the pipe for that angle also.

it's much easier to access if you remove the brake booster on a V8.. might save some stress(might be able to leave the master and brake lines fitted possibly to keep from bleeding brakes again? )

I love your style of bending the pipe i didnt think of that but what i did was stick a small * head stubby screwdriver up the pipe & bend it that way then started getting worried & second guessing myself thinking ive fucked it up more. My gf came around tonight with the fitting & it fitted into the Steering box perfectly but unfortunately did not fit the pipe fitting.  & she bought me a screw pitch gauge & digital caliper. The fitting on the pipe is 16.5 according to caliper but needs 18mm to fit into the fitting which she bought & the screw pitch gauge came back with a thread size of 18G. I will be back on the road soon haha😊

not enough coffee yet to understand what's going on. but if it's fixed it's fixed.

i will also ad, that little "olive" the pipe seats against inside there is ALLOY and in the photo looked good on yours, but they can get crushed down and leak like a mofo. they wiggle out with a screw driver in the center of them, are available. usually just VERY tight is tight enough to stop them leaking. i have a cut down spanner for that(in a V8), but the claw foot spanner/socket is whats probably needed to do it tight enough otherwise(in a V8) 

can't remember if this is the size
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-PROTO-11-16-3-8-dr-FLARE-NUT-CROWS-FOOT-J4922HFL-FREE-SHIPPING-USA-MADE/254415992604?hash=item3b3c5ff71c:g:qUsAAOSwMWxeQLOl

s-l1600.jpg

I went to Lukes last night & bought a v8 pipe & cut the flare off to get the fitting (the pump end had a female fittting instead of a male fitting) & did the same to my "new" one & reflared it. I didnt plan on the steering box fitting on lukes pipe to have a smaller hole so spent a few hours filing out & increasing the hole so the fitting will go on my pipe anyway its on now & i hacve relared it so it should work i tested the fitting before i put it on the pipe & it screws in👍. I was looking at those crowfeet spanners too on ebay last night haha & will either get that unless it has to be ordered in cos i want to put this pain in the arse of a pipe on todayonce & for all otherwise ill buy an 11/16 stubby spanner or just a normal one & cut it down👍

3 hours ago, Free.51 said:

I was looking at those crowfeet spanners too on ebay last night haha & will either get that unless it has to be ordered in cos i want to put this pain in the arse of a pipe on todayonce & for all otherwise ill buy an 11/16 stubby spanner or just a normal one & cut it down👍

assholes of a thing.. 
with BGDAV's XE with Astra electric pump, we had a join fitted in that pipe(all costs money though) it's much easier to seat that pipe on the steering box first then join it in an accessible spot.. probably cost $40 for that but saved scratching paint, swearing and oil leaks.. it's all relative. 
you'd have to assume those pipes were fitted before the engine goes in at the factory. 

good luck

Thanks Dean, well with all the fucking around last night i tried screwing it in this morning & still no luck so me & the missus decided to go to pirtek & the guy cut off the flare & fitting & welded on a fitting & adaptor so this should be really good now cost $46 i cant wait to get home tomorrow & fit it im feeling very confident now with this combo

extreme measures need extreme solutions.. 
hopefully it helps, i had to undo an engine mount on the lexus v8 falcon and tilt the engine over to get better access to that spot when i had to change the steering box

Well i put her on yesterday & noticed a slight leak so drove the car to work anyway & after work got a 22mm socket to tighten the bottom fitting that screws into the box really tight then tightened the top fitting then noticed & tiny little weep of fluid from where the guy welded the fitting to the pipe so went to Bunnings & got some knead it with the intention of plugging the tinies hole then drove to the atm & steering went all tight again so long story short i noticed a massive pool of fluid pissing out from the passenger side near the crossmember so something has seriously shit its pants there so managed to get the car back home & up on the ramps again & am gonna wait til tomorrow after work to see what the damage is:(

11 hours ago, Free.51 said:

so long story short i noticed a massive pool of fluid pissing out from the passenger side near the crossmember so something has seriously shit its pants there so managed to get the car back home & up on the ramps again & am gonna wait til tomorrow after work to see what the damage is:(

assholes of things, 
can see why i enjoy cars without power steering now..  one less thing to annoy Me. 
it's probably the high pressure hose, but hopefully it's the low pressure one, forgot to do the hose clamp up in the last bout of frustration. 

1 hour ago, bear351c said:

I got a pin hole leak in the pressure hose on the old ZL I had, made a hell of a mess, but, do you think I could find it............ 

Hope it's not serious.

I hope its not serious too, im really tired of this damn ps line its been nothing but bad luck from the start which has been a month now