Server maintenance Read more... ×
Huntnfish

HELP......Help Please XY fitted XC LSD Disc Diff.

Hi all could I ask for some serious help please.

I have fitted what I have been told is a XC Disc Brake LSD to my 72 XY Tribute.
Everything has been overhauled Axle Bearings, Calipers all new parts,Brake Lines,and fittings. As you can see and the whole Diff has fitted just fine.

I need to have a new handbrake cable made, so left the cable off,

Before fitting wheels tested rotating driveshaft and everything free, dropped it on the ground......here comes the BUT.

On road testing the car down the road, no more than 1 kilometers out and 1 back, the Drivers Side caliper starts locking up onto the disc by the time i get back to the workshop....SMOKIN and serious heat on mag, caliper and disc, can't touch anything for 1 hour.
What have I done wrong..........
1. On reversing out of workshop has this actuated the handbrake......
2. Driving down the road has this actuated the handbrake.......
3. Why is the Passenger Side not locking up as well.
4. this will be the 3rd time I have reset this caliper.

This has driven me mad even madder, than before.
Photo links below.

Drivers Side Caliper.jpg

Something is not right in that caliper . That lever should be downwards . If it is the original lever there could be an assembly issue . 

The reason I say original lever is from memory there was a couple different levers . That type with a single loop on the end from memory was XD

The XC levers had like a double section where the cable attaches 

Yeah, they are late XC/XD calipers. The lever should be pointing straight down, as Greg suggested.  You will need to undo the 4 bolts that hold the handbrake adjuster, and carefully lift off the flange and inside there are 3 ball bearings, don't lose them. You can rotate the screw adjuster inside the caliper piston. There is also a round 'key' to stop the screw from rotating.

Really best done on a bench, but, if you have some light grease, it'l hold the bearings in place. 

Reversing won't cause the brakes to lock on, something else is the issue. The cable pulls the lever, the ball bearings jump inside the adjuster as the piston gets further out. (pads wear).