Jay Baby

Starter motor ?

Gday crew,

I know this is rookie but hey that’s how it is... just trying to start my XG and it clicks but nothing else so I think my starter motor is gone. Just wondering the location of the starter motor on XG falcon utes? I have had a car years ago did the same and tapped it and she ran. I just want to make sure it’s the starter motor and see how accessible it is. Also pretty sure I’ll be able to do it myself but just need to have a look. Cheers in advance guys 

It’s actually just turned over and ran... I tried it a few times and no problems. So I’m guessing the starter motor is on its way out? I think iv also located it. Is it under the exhaust manifold on passenger side close to the fire wall? If it is it looks like a nightmare to replace 😐

XG has the E-series engine, with the starter on the inlet side. If you say your starter is on the exhaust side, you have an XF engine.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

On 4/19/2020 at 10:42 AM, gerg said:

XG has the E-series engine, with the starter on the inlet side. If you say your starter is on the exhaust side, you have an XF engine.

Is that right? Does that mean because it’s a 93 the first of the XG’s they brought a few out with the previous motor? Or has it simply had a conversion? 

Yep, that's under the inlet manifold. It's a bit of a shit to get to the top bolt, at least on later ones (EF onwards). You need a long wobble extension bar and a couple of shorter extensions to get in next to the distributor with a ratchet.

1 hour ago, gerg said:

Yep, that's under the inlet manifold. It's a bit of a shit to get to the top bolt, at least on later ones (EF onwards). You need a long wobble extension bar and a couple of shorter extensions to get in next to the distributor with a ratchet.

Yeah ok cheers bud I’ll give it a go what’s the worst that could happen 😀

1 hour ago, Jay Baby said:

Yeah ok cheers bud I’ll give it a go what’s the worst that could happen 😀

Am I correct in thinking there are only 2 bolts? So apart from a bit hard to reach it’s a pretty straight forward job? Remove battery connection than 2 bolts and swap it out? 

4 minutes ago, SPArKy_Dave said:

Could just be a loose/oxidised battery terminal and/or a loose/oxidised wire on the starter.

I'd suggest to check those things first, and see how it goes.

I really don’t want to risk it not starting again,  it was a massive pain last time. I think I’m just going to pull it and fork out for a freshy. I’ll of course clean up connections also. 

I really don’t want to risk it not starting again,  it was a massive pain last time. I think I’m just going to pull it and fork out for a freshy. I’ll of course clean up connections also. 
Good news is they're cheap, because the Falcon 6 starter motor is the same from 1960-2006

BXS0102

https://www.repco.com.au/en/parts-service/electrical-parts-vehicle-management/starter-motors-drives-and-solenoids/oex-starter-motor-12v-10th-cw-bosch-style-bxs0102/p/A9337980