Server maintenance Read more... ×
Jay Baby

Fuel consumption....

Gday Lads, 

hope everyone’s  been ok in these very uncertain times 😐. If your anything like me “isolate yourself” means working on Falcon and Harley 😂. Anyway question is I recently got my XG Falcon and I have enjoyed pulling cluster, fixing odometer, changing dash lights to LED, running a sexy tray liner and tarp and generally messing with it. However I am very bewildered buy the fuel consumption of this thing 🧐? For it being a six cylinder it’s actually ridiculous how much fuel this thing uses just driving it normally not towing or anything. I had a hilux with an LS2 in it and yeah that chewed juice but come on...that was a beast. I was telling a mate about it the other day and he laughed and said that’s just the straight 6 for ya. Is he right? Are they just very uneconomical? Or is there something I can check or do? 
cheers in advance guys 

4 minutes ago, Jay Baby said:

Gday Lads, 

I had a hilux with an LS2 in it and yeah that chewed juice but come on...that was a beast. I was telling a mate about it the other day and he laughed and said that’s just the straight 6 for ya. Is he right? Are they just very uneconomical? Or is there something I can check or do? 
cheers in advance guys 

what's it using
has it got a thermostat in it and working correctly?

best i got out of My EB XR6 was 10.5 liters per 100km(driving like a grandpa). the XGs i have had never got this good, was more like 12.. and that is similar to an LS1 stato a mate has on GAS (injected gas) 

if you are using around 20Liters per 100km, that's what i was getting when My thermostat stuck open and the engine was running too cold.. comptuer says richen, (like a choke ) 

I’m not actually positive what it’s getting in kms to litre I’ll have to monitor it and let you know. I run it on 95 octane as I was told by my mate that’s the best for those motors. Would you reckon I should swap to 98? Will that make a difference? He says that the older cars are fine on 95 but iv always been under the impression 98 is the best for everything. 

Iv been reading up and I think you’ve got it... the thermostat must be stuck open as the car never gets hot. It literally never even makes it very much passed the start line of the “normal” part of the temp gauge. If it has a thermostat? I’m just trying to find it now. If it does and it’s stuck open is that a WD-40 kind of thing or should I replace it? First I need to find it I guess 😂

i used to get 10% better economy from 91 to 98, i don't think 95 was popular back when i had it.
i don't like 91(i'd use it in a stock newer car happily), and going from 95 to 98 i would expect not much difference if any even cost.. 
the XG should be fine on 91.. i'm sure it would cost less over all.. but my question is whether it would make the head gasket pop sooner? 

hard to compare fuel economy without a figure. 

Found a few thermostats  on eBay and they pretty cheap, I might just change it anyway. At least if I do that I know it’s sweet and not stuck open as I’m more worried about that now than fuel consumption 😂 but if it helps with fuel that’s a bonus. But yeah the Ute never gets hot at all and I’m actually thinking you must be right about it being stuck open 

Sorry to keep bothering you deankdx but if my thermostat is actually stuck open what problems can this cause? Apart from fuel economy? I will definitely replace but probably can’t do it straight away. Obviously it’s not as bad underheating my car than overheating but can I cause more damage with a stuck open thermostat?  

I think Deaner's onto it... I'll add that my EF used to get in the 9s on a trip, 10.5s around town. Manual though.

My current EL wags (auto) gets around 14.5 to the hundred, but there's something not right with it. Done TPS, oxy, MAP, still tries to stall occasionally at the lights then catches itself again. I'm actually thinking now it might be fuel pressure reg sticking intermittently but haven't bothered going any further with it. My 302 XE gets not much worse than that, doing identical driving.

With yours, no trip computer means you'll have to calculate it the old way.
Take fuel used, divide by km on the odometer and multiply that number by 100 to get litres per 100km.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

Yeah solid I’ll get into this now and also check the thermostat after iv got another ready to replace it with. Iv been researching all day and the only information I can find on damage from stuck open or missing thermostat is fuel consumption. I think maybe the previous owner had it stuck shut and car was overheating so they just removed it? I’ll only know when I pull it I suppose 

1 hour ago, Jay Baby said:

Sorry to keep bothering you deankdx but if my thermostat is actually stuck open what problems can this cause? Apart from fuel economy? I will definitely replace but probably can’t do it straight away. Obviously it’s not as bad underheating my car than overheating but can I cause more damage with a stuck open thermostat?  

No mate. Not really an issue.  You may find your oil is sludgy, under the rocker cover, when you pull it down, as the oil is designed to run at high temp.  Change your oil and filter when you get a spare $50.

You computer will try to compensate, as Dean said, by thinking the engine is cold, and adding more fuel to richen it up. Temp gauge should be a third to half way up when fully warmed up.

If you run without a thermostat, you may actually 'overheat' your engine. (coolant travels too quickly through the radiator, and doesn't have time to cool down, basically)

3 minutes ago, bear351c said:

No mate. Not really an issue.  You may find your oil is sludgy, under the rocker cover, when you pull it down, as the oil is designed to run at high temp.  Change your oil and filter when you get a spare $50.

You computer will try to compensate, as Dean said, by thinking the engine is cold, and adding more fuel to richen it up. Temp gauge should be a third to half way up when fully warmed up.

If you run without a thermostat, you may actually 'overheat' your engine. (coolant travels too quickly through the radiator, and doesn't have time to cool down, basically)

No worries 👌🏻 Rocker cover gasket needs replacing anyway so when I do that I’ll do thermostat, oil and filter too. Cheers bud 

2 hours ago, Jay Baby said:

No worries 👌🏻 Rocker cover gasket needs replacing anyway so when I do that I’ll do thermostat, oil and filter too. Cheers bud 

sorry for slow reply, was out doing stuff.. 

i agree with what the others above have said, 

running too cool, won't cause many issues, heater being crap would be one in winter.. it's not ideal for oil, i read a few times that with short trips(oil not up to temp) you should change the oil more often. 

i wouldn't worry too much about doing it ASAP..
but i would buy the Thermostat from Ford, it's probably $35 or so if price hasn't changed. has a kind of Oring around it.   @Mr Polson may know if REPCO sell the Correct one? not a universal spec one. i don't think i'd buy from ebay due to it's likely just a universal one unless you buy from a ford dealer on ebay(there are a few on there)

It's a pretty universal thermostat to be honest (most are) but it includes the right seal for E series.

I'd have to double check the temp rating at work and see what it is, Dayco are shocking for recommending a temp range cooler than OEM, but it's easy enough to get the right one if you know what range you need.

https://www.repco.com.au/en/parts-service/cooling/thermostats-housings/dayco-thermostat-includes-seal/p/A7634420

Just thought I’d close this post out, changed out thermostat and thermostat housing. Still uses same amount of fuel and stats really cool on temp gauge. So I’m guessing these are just pigs on fuel and she stays cool 😎. Anyway cheers guys 

other things if you wanted to keep chasing? could be the O2 sensor,  @Thom is the master of getting amazing economy (i've seen an EF wagon get 8 litres per 100km about 20yrs ago) 
the other thing to consider is what sort of driving you are doing, and if not many kms a week, does it even matter. (all My falcons have been on LPG in the past)

Just thought I’d close this post out, changed out thermostat and thermostat housing. Still uses same amount of fuel and stats really cool on temp gauge. So I’m guessing these are just pigs on fuel and she stays cool . Anyway cheers guys 
What thermostat did you use?

I ended up running a “dayco” thermostat and a new housing from ebay. 
Do you know what part number?
Should be DT22B-BP for example.

My experience with Dayco thermostats is they tend to recommend lower temp ones than the car had OE, so it might be listed for the car but be wrong temp still.