Server maintenance Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
xhadyboy

New Acoustic windscreen

Hey Guys

I just brought the Mrs a replacement daily wagon to replace her 310 km VZ .

The local mechanic has picked the windscreen for replacement.

The current owners are pensioners and have chosen the budget option,$220.00 fitted.

We will have this thing for 10 years and want to know how many different spec levels of screen there are.

The top of the range is a rain sensor version in the Grange and senators

,then would it be an acoustic one down from there?

Anyone know what a dart board price for the acoustic one  would be for a VE commo ?

Yeah i know, i know ,

but this thing is a unicorn, VE S2  Equipe wagon  ,IQ2  1 x 85 yr old female owner, Leather interior, reverse camera,country 70,000kms ,delivering dealer serviced all its life.

No idea on pricing but acoustic windscreen is definitely something worth getting.

I had the stock windscreen in my G6E replaced with an acoustic one (under insurance, so no idea on price), and it made a heck of a difference to road noise, especially on coarse road surfaces.

I spoke to the mechanic who was doing the R.W.C about the 2 different screens 

Standard $220 supply and fit

Acoustic $300

He said they are are mainly in the diesel powered cars and utes to keep the noise down.

Given the state of the roads around the Macedon ranges his opinion was, its probably not worth spending the extra.

We got the service records with this thing.

But he was happy to charge the previous owners, to replace the penrite coolant in this thing twice in 10 months/7000 km travelled, at a cost of $140 a pop.

7lt oil change Penrite 5/30w gf5 with filter is $ 164.00 

I went through this myself on my FGX a few months ago (see FGX link in my sig for details), was able to get it replaced for free using glass cover option on my insurance.

Definitely get acoustic glass if given the option (demand it if you can!). Does your VE have rain-sensing wipers? If so, the windscreen will need a hole carefully bored through it for the sensor, and it will most likely be acoustic glass they use to do so (at least, when the insurer asked if my  car had rain-sensing wipers, they allocated an acoustic windscreen automatically). Certainly cuts down on wind and road noise....but then mine was replaced for free (more or less), so that might influence your decision.