4vxb

Cleveland block

Ok, so ive had a v8 block sitting in my garage for about 15 years, pretty much complete with heads and internals etc etc. Cant remember if there was markings on the big ends saying it was 302 or 351. Block has D2AE-CA casting number. Im confused about the deep part of the oil pan being at the rear end of the block and the cylinder heads having the valves in a diagonal kind of arrangement instead of in a straight line like the ones in my 302c thats in my falcon. Wondering if anyone can give me an idea as to what this could be out of. Will try and get sum pics of heads in weekend.

Rear sump pan, sounds like it was out of a Bronco. Pull out a spark plug and stick a drinking straw in there and wind the engine over, Make a mark on the straw at lowest and highest position, measure, stroke of a 351 is 3 & 1/2 inches. (302 is 3 inches)

Yea i was thinking the likes of a bronco or F series. As for measuring the stroke, the pistons an rods are sitting in a box. From memory, i think the block needs to be bored 30 thou due to 1 cylinder having a medical condition. Has been a very long time since ive really looked at it. If its 351 crank and rods, will be a cheap stroker kit for the little 302 thats in my xb. Cheers m8

Ok, so ive had a v8 block sitting in my garage for about 15 years, pretty much complete with heads and internals etc etc. Cant remember if there was markings on the big ends saying it was 302 or 351. Block has D2AE-CA casting number. Im confused about the deep part of the oil pan being at the rear end of the block and the cylinder heads having the valves in a diagonal kind of arrangement instead of in a straight line like the ones in my 302c thats in my falcon. Wondering if anyone can give me an idea as to what this could be out of. Will try and get sum pics of heads in weekend.

Firstly, if the valves are inline, it's a 302 Windsor. If the inlet and exhaust valves are at different angles (canted valve) it's a 302C or 351C.

If it's a 302, it will have "302" cast into the crank. I don't know what the rods should have on them but possibly could start with AR (Australian Revision) followed by the familiar Ford part number. The rods are 6.030"

If it's a 351, it will have "4MA" cast on the crank. Rods are 5.780"

The stamped engine number should be just above the fuel pump. If it's out of an Aussie car, it will start with JG or JH. The rest of the numbers in that sequence will tell you exactly what model it came out of, as it matches the chassis number.

Agreed about the rear pan sump, that could mean that it has at least been in a Bronco or F-100 at some stage, if not built with that engine.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk