Server maintenance Read more... ×
Luke13

Air filter size Aussie speed

Hi all I am getting parts together for putting a four barrel on my xe I have a four barrel Aussie speed manifold and a quick fuel 450 carb what size air filter will fit under the bonnet

Thanks 

You may need to shut the bonnet and attempt to measure the clearance from underneath. That's what I had to do when I fitted my oval cobra one to my V8.

Many on here will advise running a spacer under the carby, which throws up more challenges fitting a decent size air cleaner.@CHESTNUTXE just offloaded a 250 crossy out of his XF so should know what fits, etc. He ended up cutting a hole in his bonnet to fit the air cleaner he had.

I would use a drop base air cleaner if possible, that allows a taller element for the same height to the top. A lot of factory V8 air cleaners are like this. Maybe try one of those? All US 4 barrel carbies, no matter what brand, will use the same diameter SAE carb flange so will physically fit. Rocker cover and shock tower clearance will of course be a factor.

I don't know how good your fab skills are, but you could even cut and shut a factory Weber oval air cleaner to fit a Holley flange. Yet another option.

A long oval air cleaner might suit your needs as it will clear the rocker cover and shock tower more easily.

The rule of thumb is use the biggest air cleaner you can fit. There really is no downside to "bigger is better" in this case. I cringe when I see a tough engine with a big carby strangled by a pissy chrome air filter that would be small on a 4 cyl.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

you can forget about fitting it under  the bonnet ,unless dropping the carby straight onto the manifold with a small 2 inch filter,or trim bonnet support framework might fit 1/2 inch spacer.

I had a similar issue with air cleaner clearance on a slant 6 Valiant.

One of the things I did to gain a bit of clearance was to shorten the passenger side engine mount bracket by 3/4", which gained more than an inch at the carburettor, I also raised the back of the bonnet about 3/4".