mcfly94

3spd to 5spd worth it?

Hey guys, some you may know i changed out my bw40 for c4 as i killed the bw.

With the 3.27 gears my highway revs are pretty high about 2700 at 100kmh.

I think the 5 speed would bring my revs down to 1800 at 100kmh.

Now my question is will i get much better fuel economy on the conversion? will it be worth it? getting a bit sick of the car reving so high.

Auto-to-manual conversion on my EF, economy went from 12.5l/100 km to 11l/100. Also, keeping the same diff you'll be sitting on about 2100 rpm at 100 (with 0.74 fifth). Still much better than current setup though.

I went from 3sp manual to 5sp in the ute, easily the best mod I've done.

You can get more from the vehicle with more gears, fuel is way better (3sp was about 14L/100, 5sp can drop to 10/11 per 100km).

This is with a 3.23 diff.

Pity it'd be next to impossible to adapt a Later model auto..

Yeah im leaning towards the manual conversion now.

Id keep the 3.27 ratio. Wouldnt go any higher.

As much as i hate manual at times its going to definitely bring down the revs a huge amount, a be much more quieter to cruise on the highway.

Just put the C4 in the shed for later when i make this a weekend car.

Just have to look into costs now, and whats the best t5 to use.

Xf and ea t5 are the weakest variants eb series 2 to El are better and au-ba are the strongest but they are longer

One thing I forgot about, Utes (xg/xh) with factory towbar are better again with tapered roller bearings on the main shaft

EF/EL are meant to be the better ones, slightly. I think XF T5s have a different ratio in 5th...

pretty sure the xf and ea box are the same, eb2 onwards are the same but I could be wrong been a while since I read up on it.

why not go a lower diff ratio if you don't like manual? get a 3.08 from a eseries?

pretty sure the xf and ea box are the same, eb2 onwards are the same but I could be wrong been a while since I read up on it.

why not go a lower diff ratio if you don't like manual? get a 3.08 from a eseries?

because i dont want a sluggish car either, not to mention i dont think the difference between my eb2 3.27 and a 3.08 would be much difference

DO IT FER FUCKSAKES.  

You wont regret it.

And a xf t5 is fine unless ya doing burnouts or driving like a maniac.  There's one at upullit lonsdale at the moment, with bell, floor plate and pedal box.  350 for the lot with them.  Probably cheaper online.

Mine is an xf t5 has a lower first gear than the later boxes, and yes its not as strong, but I don't drive it like an idiot anyway.  Added a hurst shifter (www.jegs.com 83-94 model mustang) and its pretty schweet.

2700 is not okay when ive only got to 1800rpm left, i dont take my xflow past 4.5k

i was always going to keep the c4

1800 is plenty left 

if a neuss diesel engine in an ACCO truck an cruse at 2700 flat out for years 

A crossie can handle it

Nothing wrong with a ea t5,mate has one behind his worked 351 clevo.Also got another mate with a turboed EB 4L makes around 400hp at the wheels and still on the same old EA t5 box when he did his manual conversion.The T5's are rated at 300hp and also depends how you drive it.