gerg

Falcon Kirby-Bishop Power Steering Box Overhaul

Hey just to be sure which way does this seal and dust cap go in?

https://imgur.com/a/kkmiOcN

I haven't put them in yet, here is a picture of the ones I am talking about.

Seems like you put the dust cap flat side out, but I am a bit confused which way the main seal goes.

RE4gMu0.jpeg

QoHUoM6.jpeg

erHAFgO.jpeg

CQGSLAj.jpeg

Edited by deankdx
added photos to show in thread

Hi MrFathead,

This is on my things to do list for my XF but haven't got around to it.

Your first photo is correct with the seal lips pushing first into the housing. As Gerg says, internal oil pressure will push the seal lips against the shaft and housing for a tight seal. Next goes the backing ring with the curved side against the seal and the flat side against the circlip.

Not knowing the correct orientation of the dust cover prompted me to get under my XF, brush away the cobwebs and have a look.

FwQKG6l.jpg

It seems to me the flat side goes in against the circlip for the seal to clear the splines.

I found this on Youtube posted one year ago, a HQ coupe with a professionally rebuilt Kirby Bishop power steering box:

ABPJqir.jpg

According to this, the orientation of the dust cover in your last photo seems correct. That's how it sits in my housing, the same as Gerg's last photo. 

Awesome thankyou. That is how I figured it should go but I am glad to just triple check, it would be a pain to have to get to it again.

I was careful pulling it all out and I had it sitting in the right order but I knocked it off the table, and my service manual doesn't even mention power steering at all.

My Ford XF repair manual states specifically how to install the inner seal, the spacer and the circlip. Then it says install the dust cover seal with no instruction on its' orientation. Hence the expedition to the carport with the trolley jack etc. etc.

How did you go with re-assembly Fat? Do you have some of these special tools that are referred to?

I will have a go at it tomorrow, I will just turn up a thing on the lathe the same as earlier. I will try a motorbike piston ring compressor and a freezer for the rings.

My service manual is pretty average, I was putting together my rear brake callipers and it was assembled wrong in the photo in the book. Lucky they are not hard to piece together like a steering box.

Here is the tool I made to put in the seal and needle bearing. I can't see a way to do it without making a tool unfortunately.

You could probably make it with the right size washer and some all thread, it doesn't need to be fancy the seal doesn't need much force to push in. It just has to be the outside diameter of the seal and no bigger or it won't fit far enough in the housing. The centre lump I made just helps keep the seal level and in the right spot but you could get away without that. The needle bearing is much easier to get in.

https://imgur.com/FdQbZlH

https://imgur.com/LMfYRps

https://imgur.com/3gHon6S

I had no problem getting the main piston in with its seal using the freezer and clamp trick it was not even scary haha.

I have compressed the three smaller teflon seals with hose clamps and will see how they go.

I am a bit concerned that I might have over stretched them putting them on... I just used a small pick and they all went on pretty easy but mine are much looser then the ones posted earlier.

Hopefully once it has a few hours of freezing with some clamps on they come good.

https://imgur.com/eTWkZHg

I haven't put anything else together yet I will probably do that over the weekend.

If I have done anything obviously wrong or stupid someone please let me know.

6 hours ago, Searley said:

Good Morning. Yes Thats Good. I might just Scan it tonite and put it on anyway. Have a Great Safe Happy New Years Eve Day!

That would be sweet if you could scan it for me, I have most of it ready to reassemble and that would just help me get it perfect.

This thread was the only thing that comes up in google, so it would help anyone in the future doing the same thing.

Hello Mr. Fathead. I've got the Kirby Bishop Power  Str Pages Scanned 1-13 and a Spare Parts Numbers Page. However its not Uploading for me. I have'nt got Tapatalk. If you want to send me an e-mail address so I can send as an Attachments. Unless somebody knows another way.Let me know. Thanks. My e-mail is (edited removed )

Edited by deankdx
remove email

All assembled thank you for the help everyone. It will be a while before I can test it, I have to build the whole engine.

Are these boxes meant to have paint on them? Mine had about 1cm of goo on it from all the leaks and when I cleaned it it is just bare metal. I am guessing it was painted and the paint got eaten off by the fluid.

RN6pCC3.jpg

From new, they were painted a semi-gloss black enamel.

Possibly a dip-coat originally?

Word of safety advice -

I'd never run a polyurethane steering coupler under any circumstances. (as you've pictured)

Poly tends to split and crumble with age, and they're not fibre reinforced either.

IMO, they should not be offered for sale, in that application.

I'd suggest to fit a new reinforced rubber steering coupler instead.

8 hours ago, SPArKy_Dave said:

word of safety advice -

I'd never run a polyurethane steering coupler under any circumstances. (as you've pictured)

Poly tends to split and crumble with age, and they're not fibre reinforced either.

IMO, they should not be offered for sale, in that application.

I'd suggest to fit a new reinforced rubber steering coupler instead.

i think that's the REASON they have such long bolts in these kits, if/when it falls to bits the bolts will at least still be in the steering column slots  

(the gemini one is the same, aftermarket poly type has super long bolts for this reason)

I guess worse case is it would fail when you are trying to park the car when it is under full load, probably not when you are cruising at speed.

I will keep an eye on it when it is installed in the car and see how it goes.

I will brush some black paint on it so that it doesn't get all crusty, but it kind of looks awesome bare not that anyone ever sees it either way.

8 hours ago, MrFathead said:

I guess worse case is it would fail when you are trying to park the car when it is under full load, probably not when you are cruising at speed.

I will keep an eye on it when it is installed in the car and see how it goes.

I will brush some black paint on it so that it doesn't get all crusty, but it kind of looks awesome bare not that anyone ever sees it either way.

i've seen a couple of these a few years old and they were still mint.  one on a falcon, one on my gemini. 

the old rag joint one my gemini had was all haggard and looked like it would fall apart just taking the coupling off the rack.. (have seen them completely rooted on gemini and falcon) but even though it looked stuffed, it was a really strong thing and extremely difficult to cut even so i could grind the rivets out.. (30+ years old)

i'd be surprised if these type last 10yrs and are still safe, find out i guess. they definitely work.