scottly

12v ignition source Help please

Hey guys, I have a question for the 12v electrical guys. I need a switched ignition for accessories in my engine bay (xd falcon ute originally 6 cyl)

My question is, Is it possible to run to run a switched ignition source off the + coil as I need a constant 12v power whilst cranking? Or is this a bad idea? Or is there another place easy enough to tap into?

thanks scott

I don't see any problem teeing off the coil + if the load is negligible. If there is more than a couple of amps load, you need to put a relay in. A relay only draws about 20mA so makes bugger-all difference.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

Ok so I spoke to the ignition company and the suggest don’t do it for multiple reasons I can’t remember what they were. He suggested to find a clean source for the 12v switched ignition. Thanks 

i had this problem when  setting  up my msd,needed 12v switched power
In that case, you would just use your old coil + supply as the MSD has its own coil +/- leads completely independent of the existing wiring. The ignition + into the MSD is only a trigger to turn it on, it gets its actual power from the fused battery supply.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk