NZXD

Blow through carb

Gents, does anybody have any experience with blow through carbs, either ones they have converted or purchased new?

Just throwing around some shed ideas for the XD and thinking about a side mount blower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Following this. I'll be in a similar boat when i get back onto the crossy +T project.... (hopefully later this year)

As far as i got was pricing up a quick fuel 650 blow thru. At around $1,400 NZD it wasnt cheap....... from what I've read so far you can modift a holley for a fraction of the price..... no idea on how a well modified carb performs compared to the quick fuel..... how easily tuned etc?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Following this. I'll be in a similar boat when i get back onto the crossy +T project.... (hopefully later this year)

As far as i got was pricing up a quick fuel 650 blow thru. At around $1,400 NZD it wasnt cheap....... from what I've read so far you can modift a holley for a fraction of the price..... no idea on how a well modified carb performs compared to the quick fuel..... how easily tuned etc?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Yeah mate looking around the same price here for a new one specifically set up for boost.

I’ve read most of the conversions threads on how to convert your NA carb to blow through, from no power valves and large jets to low vac power valves and better afr with cruising off boost, seems a little hit n miss with results.

The other option is Holley sniper / Fitech.

You can buy boost referenced metering blocks for carbs. 

I’ve tried searching for them but can’t seem to find it, any links or companies on line?

Have you thought about a Holley super sniper efi system? They are around $2000 you can run a turbo or supercharger or nitrous, they self tune  they can control ignition timing and they have a shit load of other features. 

Have you thought about a Holley super sniper efi system? They are around $2000 you can run a turbo or supercharger or nitrous, they self tune  they can control ignition timing and they have a shit load of other features. 

Thought they were more expensive than that, not too much more than a new blow through carb really.

Yeah they are bloody cheap for what they can do, I’m currently Converting my Clevo to efi with boost and I have gone this path.

I’ll have to read up on your build. I’m heading towards a torque storm blower.

I’ll have to post some pictures soon lol I looked into the centrifugal supercharger side of things and f!$k me they are expensive to get set up and running. That why I went the turbo path, but each to their own.

I’ll have to post some pictures soon lol I looked into the centrifugal supercharger side of things and f!$k me they are expensive to get set up and running. That why I went the turbo path, but each to their own.

Yeah they aren’t cheap here at $5900 for the torqstorm setup, however it is bolt in.

A turbo setup wouldn’t be cheap for me as I can’t weld and there is no off the shelf (decent quality) turbo manifolds that will work for a Windsor in an XD, there is a stainless kit for a single turbo out of the US to suit a 67 Windsor mustang that could work.

Looked into the Holley Super Sniper 650, $2200 and it can control timing, so by the time you buy a boost referenced carb and MSD ignition box you aren’t too far from that.

What are you using for a fuel system?

Nice one, thats actually pretty reasonably priced!

Given the engine bay sizing similarities between the early mustang and the XD, the kit should work. The only issue could be the steering box on the XD being in the way.

8 psi and I’d be around 525 - 550hp mark which is regarded as being the limit of the factory block, some have been successful in more and holding together, but that is also the limit of my trans etc.

Dart block and get serious with it haha.

19 hours ago, NZXD said:

Yeah they aren’t cheap here at $5900 for the torqstorm setup, however it is bolt in.

A turbo setup wouldn’t be cheap for me as I can’t weld and there is no off the shelf (decent quality) turbo manifolds that will work for a Windsor in an XD, there is a stainless kit for a single turbo out of the US to suit a 67 Windsor mustang that could work.

Looked into the Holley Super Sniper 650, $2200 and it can control timing, so by the time you buy a boost referenced carb and MSD ignition box you aren’t too far from that.

What are you using for a fuel system?

I purchased mine from vpw for $2050. 

I am going a rear mount turbo less heat and mess in the engine bay, I can use the headers I already have and I don’t have to run a intercooler. 

i am running a single Holley fuel pump, 2 fuel filters and a regulator, the factory tank is removed I just need to buy a my fuel cell now.

What do you get in that kit mate? Can you run power steering? Write down a full parts list of every thing you need man I will scare you.

I am going a rear mount turbo less heat and mess in the engine bay, I can use the headers I already have and I don’t have to run a intercooler. 

i am running a single Holley fuel pump, 2 fuel filters and a regulator, the factory tank is removed I just need to buy a my fuel cell now.

What do you get in that kit mate? Can you run power steering? Write down a full parts list of every thing you need man I will scare you.

9ee45bdfd2ae707f3bf78445792061d9.jpg

Kit comes with manifolds, crossover goes back off C4 bell housing and turbo sits where our battery is in the X series.

Also comes with 3 inch exhaust down pipe which finishes down by the trans cross member.

This suits 64-68 mustang with SBF. Can’t see an issue fitting it in the XD apart from the steering box maybe???

Parts list:
Manifold kit
Turbo T4 (.96 ar hot side)
Holley Super Sniper
Electric fuel pump and return lines
1:1 rising rate FPR
Carb hat and cold side piping - intercooler (already have that)
Blow off valve
Exhaust mods
Upgrade alternator (still run 55 amp)
Oil feed and return for turbo - modify sump

All this is cheaper than the Torqstorm at $5900.

What am I missing?

Jam an ebay 3582 on it and you'll be laughing. Seriously, those 7-year-olds in China have really upped their turbo fab game. $500 for a turbo, inercooler, pipes and joiners!?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GT3582-Turbo-For-Ford-Falcon-BA-BF-XR6-FPV-F6-64mm-Pipe-Kits-Intercooler-76/273182478273?hash=item3f9af1cfc1:g:gaEAAOSwT6Va41xP

Any more details on the rear mount setup?

On 2/6/2020 at 9:50 PM, NZXD said:

9ee45bdfd2ae707f3bf78445792061d9.jpg

Kit comes with manifolds, crossover goes back off C4 bell housing and turbo sits where our battery is in the X series.

Also comes with 3 inch exhaust down pipe which finishes down by the trans cross member.

This suits 64-68 mustang with SBF. Can’t see an issue fitting it in the XD apart from the steering box maybe???

Parts list:
Manifold kit
Turbo T4 (.96 ar hot side)
Holley Super Sniper
Electric fuel pump and return lines
1:1 rising rate FPR
Carb hat and cold side piping - intercooler (already have that)
Blow off valve
Exhaust mods
Upgrade alternator (still run 55 amp)
Oil feed and return for turbo - modify sump

All this is cheaper than the Torqstorm at $5900. 

What am I missing?

You will need a also wastegate I’m sure there will be other small items

On 2/7/2020 at 9:30 AM, NZXD said:

Any more details on the rear mount setup?

I am probably a month And a half or so from Mine being finished. Jump on YouTube man and check out some rear mount turbo cars there are awesome. I think there is a well known brown Torana that’s a street car with the rear mount set up, it’s bloody cool and it’s very quick from memory