adrianphu123

Plenum repair

Hey guys, 

In the middle of a plenum repair on an XF ute, just wondering from those who have done it.

Is the brace on the drivers side right next to the vent really necessary or can i leave it off?

thanks,

adrian

Which brace do you mean Adrian? Are you talking about the little one in the valley that catches all the leaves and blocks up?

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

Yeah that’s the one. The only problem I can think of is the wiper motor flexing that part of the plenum but if I can get away with not putting it back I’d prefer not to

I'd probably lean towards leaving it out too. And the smaller one on the passenger side. If I had needed to do an in-depth repair of the area, I'd have made some modifications to reduce the chance of water and muck getting trapped in there too.

The drivers side one does look more like a strengthening brace, but it doesn't look to be relating to the wiper motor assembly or pedal box or anything IMO.

It does support the top plenum cover couple of spot welds, directly below there is the pedal box. There is bolts on that area for the wiper motor assembly isn’t there? Support Just going of memory car to far away atm.

Good points guys, I've decided to leave it out and im halfway to closing that area up.

From the way its mounted, any flex in the brake booster area would now occur below the seam anyway but just to satisfy my paranoia I'll be looking to make a brace that mounts to the upper shock tower and butts against the front of the master cylinder to prevent any flex in that area.