Server maintenance Read more... ×
CHESTNUTXE

BUYING A MEDIA BLASTER

I am so sick of cleaning stuff with brush and degreaser ,also eating the skin off my hands,i want to buy a small hand held soda blaster but there seems to be many on the market ,mainly for engine parts such as pistons ,as im spending hrs cleaning pistons by hand and never get 100 percent clean,i had a look thismorning at more larger blasters but they are very expensive and need an enclosed space and protective clothing,so what would be the go ,soda .walnut shell,or glass beeds in different coarse,i already have a compressor,i have seen at supercheap they sell a small gravity fed gun for about sixty bux,sounds like perfect for small items,maybe someone has some experiance on what media to buy ?

I'd recommend buying or building a small booth type, like what I made for my shop. For small bits, something like a converted filing cabinet, plastic tub, kitchen cupboard, or like mine, an enclosed pallet would work with an old window for viewing. A bathroom extraction fan or modify a vacuum for nuisance dust removal.

The pot gun your looking at isn't bad but they clog fairly easily. That and without an enclosure, it's a last resort for me out in the shop.

A set up that recycles the media is the best way because you can just keep going as long as the compressor will keep up. Keep your air clean and dry to help stop clogging. I've just got a couple of syphon guns but my better result is from a modified air gun that pushes more air through the ceramic nozzles. Syphon hose needs a breather hole to make it feed properly too.

No reason why not... Upside of that is the tips will last longer because soda is softer than sand or garnet. You do need to sift the media before you suck it through the gun, a kitchen sieve will do that.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

Yeah mate, should be fine. Might need a change of nozzle for the grit but they are basically the same thing. I haven't used walnut but I know that soda won't take rust off much. It does leave a coating on the metal which inhibits further corrosion for a while but has to be cleaned off before paint sticks

i have a compressor,or ozito do a cheap one that holds 23kg media with 4 different nozzles,for only sixty bux,i do like the small gun type as im really only doing small parts,if i needed a car body or panels i guess ya send it to a big booth.

at the wreckers yesterday i found this xr falcon bootlid that needs a clean up ,first thought i will hand sand it then nahhh i think its time to get serious and buy something to blast it back to metal it has surface rust but under that it looks mint.

at the wreckers yesterday i found this xr falcon bootlid that needs a clean up ,first thought i will hand sand it then nahhh i think its time to get serious and buy something to blast it back to metal it has surface rust but under that it looks mint.
Picbabee295977d45b0dc3fb165ce56c93f.jpg682048e60493269d0fdbe16edfb85d05.jpg

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-23kg-portable-sandblaster_p6290557
224ced8b947f870722958a24323bee6a.jpg
I bought one of these and it's pretty good for what it is. Better than some of the other cheap sets. This is the one that needed a bit more air flow otherwise it did the job and the nozzles seem to last a while too. Would help with setting up a diy booth. My pallet sized one can easily fit boots and bonnets even.