Server maintenance Read more... ×
Jay Baby

Odometer stopped

Gday, 

Just brought myself an XG Falcon Ute and as I don’t use social media ( at all ) thought I’d join this page. 
This is my 18th car however my first ford... So my situation is iv brought this nice little XG but the odometer and trip counter don’t work on it. I have already called around and found a few places that can fix it for me however I will need to remove instrument cluster to take in,  is this a big job? 
I’m not a slowly or anything and I have already installed a kill switch from the IGN and chucked in a battery isolator ect. I just haven’t tackled anything like this yet and was looking for a friendly bit of advice on where to start? 
Any information would be grand 👌🏻

welcome aboard,
probably should buy a gregorys book for XF (don't think there's an XG one, so if you need the electronic stuff you'll need an EA EB book also)

to remove the speedo cluster, its a bit of fun in the XG.. 

remove the light switches on the surround is what i did(but have seen them left mounted and unplugged later) take note of where they were and what wires they were plugged into.
one screw holds them on.

2 screws on top for the surround, 2 under the light switch areas, and 2 hidden under the dash that most people don't put back in.. need to remove the fuse panel for this(pull the hand brake lever out a few clicks to manouver it out 

the cluster mounts with 4 screws, 2 on top, 2 on the bottom.  
can't remember, but you might need to remove the steering wheel on XG to get the cluster out.  there's no speedo cable, but there are 2 wiring plugs on the back. 

if you were keen.. and had a spare to play with..

the odo gear is $5 ish on ebay..  

on the XG you need to remove the speedo, and remove the needle and the face plate to get access to the gear.. that's after undoing lots of screws on the cluster housing etc.. 

i haven't got time to google pics for you but there'll probably be a tutorial on fordmods if it still exists and may be on here also if the photos still work

Dean's pretty much nailed it, I did mine 6 years ago and hasn't missed a beat. The original odometer gear seems to be made from a different material to the others (like neoprene), just crumbles over time. The new one you get feels a lot tougher, more like the other nylon gears.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

Cheers for the response lads this is exactly why I joined this page. Can’t beat  real experience 💪🏻 This will put me off to a great start. And yes after I have the cluster I may even look into swapping the plastic gear as at worst if I mess it up I’ll still be in the exact same position of dropping the cluster at the shop.

cheers lads I’ll keep you posted on how I get on 👌🏻

16 hours ago, deankdx said:

welcome aboard,
probably should buy a gregorys book for XF (don't think there's an XG one, so if you need the electronic stuff you'll need an EA EB book also)

to remove the speedo cluster, its a bit of fun in the XG.. 

remove the light switches on the surround is what i did(but have seen them left mounted and unplugged later) take note of where they were and what wires they were plugged into.
one screw holds them on.

2 screws on top for the surround, 2 under the light switch areas, and 2 hidden under the dash that most people don't put back in.. need to remove the fuse panel for this(pull the hand brake lever out a few clicks to manouver it out 

the cluster mounts with 4 screws, 2 on top, 2 on the bottom.  
can't remember, but you might need to remove the steering wheel on XG to get the cluster out.  there's no speedo cable, but there are 2 wiring plugs on the back. 

if you were keen.. and had a spare to play with..

the odo gear is $5 ish on ebay..  

on the XG you need to remove the speedo, and remove the needle and the face plate to get access to the gear.. that's after undoing lots of screws on the cluster housing etc.. 

i haven't got time to google pics for you but there'll probably be a tutorial on fordmods if it still exists and may be on here also if the photos still work

just out of interest if I was to replace the gears myself am I looking at the correct ones? And is there two in there so you replace both or just one? 

B8F466FE-3BFC-4470-8EE8-093A445CE24F.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Jay Baby said:

just out of interest if I was to replace the gears myself am I looking at the correct ones? And is there two in there so you replace both or just one? 

B8F466FE-3BFC-4470-8EE8-093A445CE24F.jpeg

it's 99.9% only the small (yellow in this photo) gear that goes.. i have once had to change the bigger gear. 

here's a link for a $10 one for eg on ebay with 2000 odd sold https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Odometer-Speedo-Gear-Cog-Suit-VN-VP-VR-VS-Commodore-XF-EA-EB-ED-Falcon-/271733080319?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

On 1/4/2020 at 11:34 PM, deankdx said:

you might need to remove the steering wheel on XG to get the cluster out. 

ive got a haynes book for eb/ed that has a supplement for xg thats actually prety handy.

you dont need to remove the steering but its considerablly eaier than tryna manouvre it around the wheel.

Ok,so off to a good  start with the cluster removal but I can’t find the last 2 screws iv found the tops and the sides as pictured. Iv removed bottom of dash to get access to hidden ones but can’t find them 😢 I have also left the light, haz switches ect in as I’ll just unplug them after. Also pulled wheel. Please give me a heads up where to find these 2 last 🤬 screws

4BC6567C-8BD9-4AE7-8DA3-B196B310AE78.jpeg

Ok,so off to a good  start with the cluster removal but I can’t find the last 2 screws iv found the tops and the sides as pictured. Iv removed bottom of dash to get access to hidden ones but can’t find them 😢 I have also left the light, haz switches ect in as I’ll just unplug them after. Also pulled wheel. Please give me a heads up where to find these 2 last 🤬 screws

just found em.... after some acrobatics 👌🏻

1 minute ago, Jay Baby said:

Not sure about pulling this cluster apart now 😳 looks very fiddley 

it's 4 times fiddlier than the cluster removal.. actually.. probably 7times 

9 minutes ago, deankdx said:

it's 4 times fiddlier than the cluster removal.. actually.. probably 7times 

Yeah I might just drop cluster in to speedline they only charge $130 to fix it and at least if something is wrong I can take it back to them. Appreciate your time bud your a champion 

check they work before putting the dash back together. the LED needs the polarity correct(180 deg out on fitting = no lights) 

the old globes can go in either way.