Server maintenance Read more... ×
LJDB

250 xflow crank bolt thread size

Does anyone know the thread size of the crankshaft bolt that holds the harmonic balancer. I'm haveing trouble getting it on and don't wanna hit it with a hammer so I was gonna get a balancer installer.

9/16UNF from memory. You dont actually need an installer, what i did was get a bolt from an engineering shop which is a bit longer than the original and wind it down with that. If theres an unthreaded section on the shank of the bolt, be careful not wind the bolt too deep and force the unthreaded section into the threaded section of the crank. Then use your original bolt and drive it home.

Does anyone know the thread size of the crankshaft bolt that holds the harmonic balancer. I'm haveing trouble getting it on and don't wanna hit it with a hammer so I was gonna get a balancer installer.

i have actually stripped the first 3 threads on my crank thats in my block, all because a balancer didnt want to go on, one thing never force a bolt when tightening, try a different balancer or yeah get a real long bolt so you can get plenty of thread on the bolt

Should i worried about my stripped threads on my crank? like i may turbo the engine to like 12psi at some stage, should i have the crank changed or can it be fixed?

If you now have a bolt in dont wry mate.

yeah was fine after trying a different balancer, just missing the first the threads lucky no more damage was done!

Next time try heating the centre hub of the balancer with a paint stripper gun (yes they're hot enough... I've started a Weber barby with one). Heat it up just enough to get the paint smouldering, then whack it on quickly.

Wow nearly 6 years... Must be some kind of record

Well needless to say, it could have ended in tears if any of them had walked themselves off, particularly if giving it some berries.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Lukey250 said:

Is it bad that i have had 2 previous crossys and am building 1 now and none of them have had a bolt in the balancer

I've got a xflow in the shed, was in a running car when removed, no bolt in the balancer. This is a cast head xflow.

Probably fine when stock as they run out of steam before 4k rpm