Server maintenance Read more... ×
YeahNah

Steering Component Kit Will I need a Wheel Alignment?

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased this cozza steering kit https://www.onlineautoparts.com.au/products/ZPN-33779  and I am going to be doing the work over the weekend coming. I was just wondering because I will be replacing rack ends / tie rod ends and so on will I have to get a wheel alignment after replacing these?  Or if I just mark the locations and make sure it all aligns after fitment should that be ok?

i would definitely get a wheel alignment after changing any parts. 
even if you did get it back together in the same spot, i don't trust the parts to be in 1mm of the same place.

tyres are far more expensive than a wheel alignment most of the time

i had every part of My XE ute in bits back in the day(10yrs ago at least)
mixed and matched the best parts from an XE fairmont i wrecked.. put a few new parts in and set it up by eye(didn't even use a tape measure)
took it to Pedders for a wheel alignment.. and to My surprise, he said it's perfect, we wouldn't change this.. no charge.. (BUT.. Do up the steering coupling nuts, they are finger tight lol.. missed a step in my reassembly)

Yeah same... If you can line it up by sight, you're pretty much there. Set castor by feel, camber by feel and tyre wear, and toe-in by sight and feel. You'd be surprised at how accurate your eyes are.

I have never needed an alignment at a shop and many shops wouldn't know how to do an old Falcon anyway. A workmate needed his XU1 done and went to 3 different shops before he could find someone who actually knew what they were doing. One of the workers there didn't know what a shim was.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk