Server maintenance Read more... ×
XDjono

81' XD bonnet not opening

Hello gents, slightly embarrassing but my XD bonnet is stuck and the hood lever inside the car is no longer working.  Is there a way to unlatch the bonnet another way? 

I was hoping to send it to the mechanic tomorrow but after 2 years of neglect i feel she's wanting revenge.  

cheers,j

1 hour ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

you have to get underneath it there with some sort of long tool and pry the hook somehow,it is possible but a muck around.

arghh ok cheers. 👍

If the cable is buggered, you maybe able to reach it from underneath the car, and yank on it really hard. It might be enough to pop the latch.

Having someone lean on  the bonnet from above may also help, takes the pressure off the latch

from memory the XD is easiest to access (don't damage the grill) 
jack up the front, check the bumper for redbacks.. (seriously)

look with a torch from under the bonnet latch, you'll see a little lever  you can move left or right.. that will release the catch..
if you still have the cable there, pull on that and get someone to gently push down on the bonnet before pulling up a bit.. .. then CRC the shit out of the bonnet latch when open.

bonnet cable handles are often broken for this issue.. needing a pair of pliers in the car until you can get a new one.. ahh the joys of old cars

4 hours ago, deankdx said:

from memory the XD is easiest to access (don't damage the grill) 
jack up the front, check the bumper for redbacks.. (seriously)

look with a torch from under the bonnet latch, you'll see a little lever  you can move left or right.. that will release the catch..
if you still have the cable there, pull on that and get someone to gently push down on the bonnet before pulling up a bit.. .. then CRC the shit out of the bonnet latch when open.

bonnet cable handles are often broken for this issue.. needing a pair of pliers in the car until you can get a new one.. ahh the joys of old cars

cheers Dean, i will give this a go.  redbacks have been noted...

j

Cheers for the help got the bonnet open by doing as suggested in the comments.  *Managed to get a thin rod between the radiator and bumper from underneath and push the lever open.  You need to push the bumper out a bit to find the gap.  

4 hours ago, XDjono said:

Cheers for the help got the bonnet open by doing as suggested in the comments.  *Managed to get a thin rod between the radiator and bumper from underneath and push the lever open.  You need to push the bumper out a bit to find the gap.  

does it have air con? that makes it harder, those condensers are right under the bloody latch.

3 hours ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

now try and break into the car with all 4 door handles broken😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

locked my keys in the car once with the passenger door unlocked.. broke the handle..  used strapping to unlock the button and broke the knob off.. did end up digging the lock out of the door.. 

On 12/21/2019 at 6:48 PM, CHESTNUTXE said:

now try and break into the car with all 4 door handles broken😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

🤣 

22 hours ago, deankdx said:

does it have air con? that makes it harder, those condensers are right under the bloody latch.

Yeh has aircon, eventually found the way between the condenser and radiator to access the latch.  

Shoelace trick, or packing strap..! Works everytime. 

So does a house brick. 
Still keep a length of packing strap in my lockout kit. With a v notch in it for low posts

Sent from my SM-J330G using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Slow250XC said:

Still keep a length of packing strap in my lockout kit. With a v notch in it for low posts

Sent from my SM-J330G using Tapatalk

Yeah, had some wrapped around my diff in the old XD. 🤣