Server maintenance Read more... ×
Chrisso

Help mechanical fuel pump

Can anyone tell me what is missing from that hole on my mechanical fuel pump?!is it supposed to be a hole there or a gromet?fuel is pouring straight out and I can find a diagram anywhere to work it out

9ebf450ec3c2e2b2f1532a4e50e04394.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there's nothing meant to go in there.
i suspect, like the waterpump hole, it's designed to let the fuel out(coolant on the water pump) when they fail.. 
you'd need a new fuel pump is My suspicion., lucky it's not going into the sump, infact, you should check your oil, if it's thin or higher than it was.. change it also because it will be contaminated with fuel and not as good with lubrication but can also cause other issues if so.
@SPArKy_Dave will probably be able to confirm this

If fuel is coming out that hole it means you have a split diaphragm m, you either need a rebuild kit or a new fuel pump, and as Dean said, check you oil, you may have had fuel in the sump

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

If fuel is coming out that hole it means you have a split diaphragm m, you either need a rebuild kit or a new fuel pump, and as Dean said, check you oil, you may have had fuel in the sump

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Hardly worth the hassle of even attempting to find rebuild kits for mechanical pumps these days

Hardly worth the hassle of even attempting to find rebuild kits for mechanical pumps these days

Yeah I’ve had a look fuelmisor do a new one for $83 so I’ll probably just go with that, shit timing though as I was going to get the blue slip today oh well guess it can wait another week or 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Mr Polson said:

Only if you want to retain the factory original Kirby Bishop fuel pump.

In my experience, the Goss aftermarket pumps are trouble.

If you have an original fuel pump on there, I would always suggest to rebuild it (same for Alternator, starter etc).

If the original one isn't there,

then yeah, the Fuel Miser pumps are a direct copy (made in Korea, by Daewha Fuel pumps ltd), of the original Kirby pumps,

https://daewha.en.ec21.com/

For anyone with a Goss pump, going back to factory (or fuel miser), you'll need to source an inverted flare fitting, for the carby hard-line.

(I believe they're tapered 1/8 NPT, to 5/16 inverted flare)

Goss pumps have the flare fitting in-built.

Factory and fuel miser pumps have a separate brass fitting.

Only if you want to retain the factory original Kirby Bishop fuel pump.

In my experience, the Goss aftermarket pumps are trouble.

If you have an original fuel pump on there, I would always suggest to rebuild it (same for Alternator, starter etc).
If the original one isn't there,
then yeah, the Fuel Miser pumps are a direct copy (made in Korea, by Daewha Fuel pumps ltd), of the original Kirby pumps,
https://daewha.en.ec21.com/

For anyone with a Goss pump, going back to factory (or fuel miser), you'll need to source an inverted flare fitting, for the carby hard-line.
(I believe they're tapered 1/8 NPT, to 5/16 inverted flare)

Goss pumps have the flare fitting in-built.
Factory and fuel miser pumps have a separate brass fitting.
It's more a matter of being able to find a kit even if you wanted to rebuild it.

I've tried to find Holden 6 fuel pump kits before for customers at work, because originally they almost all had glass fuel bowls on the top, most aftermarket replacements don't so some people still want kits to keep them looking original.

Near on impossible to find. Can't say I've tried for a Falcon one but I reckon they'd be just as difficult if not more

I once had a mechanical pump shit itself on a Sunday arvo, had to call a mate to come rescue me.

I had a Goss mechanical on my 302, the built-in barbs seemed to cause the body to bend really easily when tightening up the hose clamps. It just seemed cheap and tinny. Never failed, but I deleted it anyway and put in a Facet chunka-chunka pump just out of the tank. I like it because it gives a definite warning when fuel is getting low (by going chunka-chunka a lot louder than normal)

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk