Demmo

outback fuel tank wireing

well thought I would get the old ute out of the hay shed an take it for a run. so back it out ,left it idling while I closed up shed. jump in the ute ,motor dies  and I can smell burning plastic behind kick panel. !can great   so found that mice had got in chewed the wires and sound deadening  thus frying wires. long story short pulled the wire harness out .made replacement  still wont run. found and replaced the two green relays which switch tank selection, relay under overflow bottle seems to be engaging when ignition on, but I now need some pointers to where I might find more fuses or relays that need to be activated when motor is turning over to fire up pump/s.  I am hoping someone might be able to post suggestions  guides ect  as I would like to get it running  so any help would be good thanks

pumps are not working    have ignition lights   the immobiliser light flashes when key first turned on  then goes out  motor turns over but does not fire.

have fitted a pressure gauge in the fuel line as it enters injector rail and shows no pressure even when cranking.      waiting on an  inline spark plug tester at moment postage is slow lol.  when switching tanks neither pumps prime  but the fuel gauges appear to be working.   I believe there should be a signal from the computer that engages the pumps when cranking and shuts pumps down when engine doesn't fire.   I think this is correct  if so can someone point me where I would find the start point of this wire an where it would feed from an run to       if I hotwire one of the pumps to try and start the motor could I do more damage to the electrical system ?  any thoughts anyone?  

Hey demmo, those wiring diagrahms you wanted are here on the site. Either in my ute thread or one of the threads I made on it. I cant upload again, my phone wont do it...poxy phone.

I think you may of fried the fuel pump relay, that gets the signal from ecu to prime pumps. That would explain the no priming. Hopefully its just that.

Remember yours is xh and mine xg, so wiring diagrahms may not help from my manual. On the xg the fuel pump relay is on the drivers side on the body near the brake fluid resi. If the wiring shorted its possible that fried.

Hope that helps.

Jack.

thanks jack  I did find your uploads of wiring ect but when I downloaded an try to enlarge them  they  came out blurred an difficult to read. when  the daughter visits I will get her to have a go at downloading the pics as she knows her way around computers better than I.      I found one of the relays was burnt out and the  wire had plastic covering burnt/melted. looking at your photos that you posted of xg setup is identical to xh. 

cheers Demmo

Cool, see how you go.

Think of it this way, it ran fine before, so you just need to fix chewed wiring.

Only thing could stop both fuel pumps is the fuel pump relay.

You fixed the other two relays in the kick panel, and still have no fuel pumps, so must be that.If petrol guage is switching between tanks ok, will be that.