Server maintenance Read more... ×
DCEASE

can anyone id this diff? SOLVED ( EA/EB wagon diff. 91DA part number... 3.27:1)

hi guys i bought a diff today for my xd sedan, 

was told "100% its from an XD mate"

its  a disc brake diff,   upon getting it home, im not sure its an XD diff.. 

the numbers are on the casting:

0578-026907

The numbers on the tag are

p/n 910a-4005-1c

i pulled the cover and it has 3.27 on the crown wheel. 

What the heck have i bought and will it fit?

will the hand brake cables fit?

(the car isnt here yet arrives next saturday so i cant measure anything, but the previous owner welded the diff up hence why im changing it)

Welcome aboard mate. Have you got photos?

For reference most diffs of this era, in anything, are M75/78 diffs from Borg Warner. The main difference will be width and suspension mounting points.

If its from anything within about 5 years either way you'll be fine.

Alternatively, you can simply remove the centre section from you new diff and replace the welded one with that.

If it's an 0578, it's likely to be a later model XG ute diff, especially since it's got 3.27s in it. I put one of these in my wagon without fuss, just had to use the handbrake cable that goes with the diff (wagons and utes are the same). Yours might be a problem if going from drum to disc as sedan cables are shorter due to less wheelbase. If going from disc to disc, should be ok, although check caliper position as it did vary between models.

As the blokes above already stated, pics would help a lot.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

if it has solid discs, it will be an E series diff(or XG)
if it has vented discs that you cant remove without pulling an axle out it will be pre XD(XC and possible XB)
if it has vented discs that can come off (one screw retains them) once the caliper is removed, and the caliper is Cast Iron, it will be XD diff.
if it's got vented discs and alloy calipers, it will be XE or XF diff. 

that should be enough to id it.

EB onwards series also have a round flange for the tailshaft to bolt on, where upto EA had the 2 straps over the uni joints. 

50 minutes ago, SPArKy_Dave said:

It's an EA/EB wagon diff.

91DA part number...

3.27:1 is the standard wagon (and ute/van) ratio.

if so, it will have solid discs and a flat round tailshaft flange

7 hours ago, deankdx said:

if so, it will have solid discs and a flat round tailshaft flange

it does, looks like you gentleman had I.D'd it... the question is now.. will it fit? and what hand brake cables do i chase? 

can i rattle the round flange off and use thd XD FLANGE?

1 hour ago, DCEASE said:

it does, looks like you gentleman had I.D'd it... the question is now.. will it fit? and what hand brake cables do i chase? 

can i rattle the round flange off and use thd XD FLANGE?

it will fit.
i haven't done one into XD.. but into XE and XF you'd just use the EA to ED hand brake cable from a sedan.. and it would work(suspect will be same)

you'll need a brake line adaptor for the car being imperial brake line on the body, to the metric of the EA diff. depends how much of the brake lines you have on the diff(i used to get the nuts changed on the diff hard lines to imperial at the T piece and use the XD hose and T piece
tailshaft from an EB to EL sedan should fit straight into an XD sedan(unless you have an FMX or top loader gearbox, then just swap the yoke there)
you can swap the diff yoke, but you may upset the pre load?  

its a 6cyl 3 speed XD S Pac. So ill hunt for a EB-EL Tail shaft. so XF hand brake cables? 

the diff has all the brake lines, ill post a pic this arvo. thanks heaps for your help

I've done this in a rush job to get on the road for Drag Challenge. Worked a treat for over 3000km and is still fine. I used the same "solid-disc flat-flange" on my XF ute. It was also a 3.27 LSD unit as it happens.

Use a 1 1/16" (IIRC) socket on the pinion bolt of your current diff and this will release the flange. Now install the flange to your new diff and you will be able to retain the stock-type tailshaft with its uni-joint simply held in by straps and bolts. I used my stock tailshaft no problems using this method.

The handbrake cable fit just fine (I converted the discs back to drums) and by keeping the drums I didn't have to worry about the brake lines, either. Note that the drums may be rotated 90 degrees to stock fitment so the cable pulls upward and not forward. This actually helped me as my stock cables were very stretched and this arrangement took up enough slack to give me a properly working handbrake. You beauty!

This is a good swap as you'll gain a better rear ratio for performance and also 28 spline versus (likely) 25 spline axles. 

I'd advise fitting a new pinion seal while you're in there as mine ended up leaking a bit after the flange change.

Cheers - boingk

9 hours ago, DCEASE said:
  1. its a 6cyl 3 speed XD S Pac. So ill hunt for a EB-EL Tail shaft.
  2. so XF hand brake cables? 

the diff has all the brake lines, ill post a pic this arvo. thanks heaps for your help

2.  no, EA EB ED hand brake cable should fit directly. 

if you used an XD to XF one you'd need to adjust mounting points( i did this once before i heard the e series cable is a direct fit..

check the calipers hand brake levers move and return, they are better than the XE XF ones, but still can stick on(cooking your brakes) 

I've done this in a rush job to get on the road for Drag Challenge. Worked a treat for over 3000km and is still fine. I used the same "solid-disc flat-flange" on my XF ute. It was also a 3.27 LSD unit as it happens.

Use a 1 1/16" (IIRC) socket on the pinion bolt of your current diff and this will release the flange. Now install the flange to your new diff and you will be able to retain the stock-type tailshaft with its uni-joint simply held in by straps and bolts. I used my stock tailshaft no problems using this method.

The handbrake cable fit just fine (I converted the discs back to drums) and by keeping the drums I didn't have to worry about the brake lines, either. Note that the drums may be rotated 90 degrees to stock fitment so the cable pulls upward and not forward. This actually helped me as my stock cables were very stretched and this arrangement took up enough slack to give me a properly working handbrake. You beauty!

This is a good swap as you'll gain a better rear ratio for performance and also 28 spline versus (likely) 25 spline axles. 

I'd advise fitting a new pinion seal while you're in there as mine ended up leaking a bit after the flange change.

Cheers - boingk

So in theory i can fit my xc backing plates and drums to an xh housing if i take the calipers off and pop the axles?

Apologies for highjack.

Sent from my SM-J330G using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Slow250XC said:

So in theory i can fit my xc backing plates and drums to an xh housing if i take the calipers off and pop the axles?

Should be able to, yeah. If the assembly for the XH diff looks anything like this, with a rectangular pattern on the end, then you should be set. You can check it easily enough by measuring anyway.

See the flange on the outside of the axle bearing? It bolts through the drum housing and into the flange on the end of the diff.

_px0YgwRTQKIOyAEBkkcg1ETu4hu0uz7JsyK21th

2 hours ago, Slow250XC said:

Apologies for highjack.

2 hours ago, Slow250XC said:

Apologies for highjack.

I think you will find the offset from the bearing to flange is different, I'd guess around 15mm. The flange would foul on the drum brake internals, I could be wrong.

I think you will find the offset from the bearing to flange is different, I'd guess around 15mm. The flange would foul on the drum brake internals, I could be wrong.
That is what my eyeometer was showing. When looking at my diff and axle spares.
Will measure up over xmas. Cheers guys