Server maintenance Read more... ×
pundip

FG XR6 Engine noise mystery

I have just purchased a FG Falcon Xr6 with 114K on the odo. There is a ticking sound that is not there when cold. It only starts when the temperature reaches operating temperature I think its more the oil temp that is needed because in at least on case it was not there while coolant temp was in 90’s. The book calls for 05W-30 but the oil change that was done around 1500K ago was done with 10W40 (as per receipt).

My first thought was lifter noise but after using a long screwdriver as a stethoscope, I could not hear any noise from under the valve cover. Incidentally this method works a lot better than expected. Could hear coolant flowing when placed against thermostat housing. It seems to be coming from the front of the engine where all the pulleys are. I am stumped. I am going to try to lifter additive and see if that frees anything up next but thought would ask here first.

I have used those basic ebay scan tools and there are no fault codes.

Here is a video of the noise. I apologise for the quality but the sound should be clear enough.

https://youtu.be/5Mea_MYfz1M

Hi mate, that's sounding like a cam chain noise. Could have broken a guide or something. Not too familiar with the DOHC stuff but if it's like the OHC setup, it is a point of failure with some ks on board.

Edit: you say it's there only when hot. Could be a hydraulic tensioner that loses pressure once the oil thins out.

My bet is something to do with tensioner or guide.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

One of the belt pulleys - tensioner/idler etc.

The noise is too high frequency to be internal, IMO.

Take the serpentine belt off, then run the engine (for a short while only),

and that'll soon narrow it down.

Down the driver's side of the timing cover is where the large guide and tensioner live. But I agree with Sparky Dave, eliminate the easy stuff first before ripping into the engine.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

FGs are prone to having a bad idler pulley on the front of the motor, between the power steer and AC.

Easy replacement, belt off and one bolt (it's not part of the tensioner like the SOHC 4.0) from memory.

Also, any reason you went up to 10W-40 oil?

My FG had about the same KMs on it (115k KMs) and I was still running 5W-30 with no issues.