Server maintenance Read more... ×
motoSycho

T5 Short Shifter

Lol.... Nope, just a little job I knocked over at work. Cut the stick on the selector end, weld in 20mm of bolt, space up mounting plate with 2x 10mm (20mm total) nylon sheeting cut to shape, hey presto... short shifter. Probably a bit too short for most but you get used to it.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

GDay I brought the cheap one off ebay and it works (needed some Loctite on the bolts) but other than that I works as it should, feels more direct but that cos all the original shifters are sloppy AF.

GDay I brought the cheap one off ebay and it works (needed some Loctite on the bolts) but other than that I works as it should, feels more direct but that cos all the original shifters are sloppy AF.

Mine was pretty tight even for a stocker (drove my brother's EA with the same box, felt a lot looser) but I hated the required travel for each gear, especially back and forth.

A lot of the slop can come from the rubber isolator that the stick bolts through onto the selector. It's like a weird spongy urethane that gets floppier over time. I pissed that rubbery bit off and used ground-down washers to space the 6mm bolts internally to the large bolt holes on the stick and fat washers either side to hold it all together. Gives a much more connected feel to the gearbox, albeit with a bit more harshness. I also swapped sides to which the stick bolted to the lever, bringing the stick slightly closer to the driver.

12 hours ago, gerg said:

Mine was pretty tight even for a stocker (drove my brother's EA with the same box, felt a lot looser) but I hated the required travel for each gear, especially back and forth.

A lot of the slop can come from the rubber isolator that the stick bolts through onto the selector. It's like a weird spongy urethane that gets floppier over time. I pissed that rubbery bit off and used ground-down washers to space the 6mm bolts internally to the large bolt holes on the stick and fat washers either side to hold it all together. Gives a much more connected feel to the gearbox, albeit with a bit more harshness. I also swapped sides to which the stick bolted to the lever, bringing the stick slightly closer to the driver.

Yep did the same on my 5speed XF van !....after I snapped a bolt holding the stick to the gearbox selector.....