Server maintenance Read more... ×
SPArKy_Dave

WARNING - Ultra King shock absorbers = DANGER!

51 minutes ago, Mr Polson said:

Another good reason to shop local and support brick and motor stores...

For anyone who might not know, Repco shocks are made by Monroe just with a Repco sticker and better shelf price emoji6.png

I wonder how their x-series valving, compares to others?

Are they gas or hydraulic?

What colour are they painted?

From my research, here are some brands which do x-series front shocks -

Monroe (Repco?)

Koni

Bilstein

Pedders

Gabriel

Sachs

KYB

UltraKing

Ultima (same as ultraking?)

The following brands, do proper actual shortened/short-stroke x-series front shocks -

Koni

Gabriel

Pedders

If anyone has others, please add to the list. :)

Have had an ultra king do this, and the shock oil went all over the spring saddle and away bar bushes and they fell to bits too. An XF ghia had these fitted when I got it. 

I found the valving the ultra king quite firm, and I like a firm shock. Just this happened. 

I'm pretty sure Ultima are not ultra king. Ultima come with a very good warranty. Have em in my 4x4 and in the Elgrand. No issues here. And my local suspension mob gave em a solid plug.

I wonder how their x-series valving, compares to others?
Are they gas or hydraulic?

What colour are they painted?

Gas charged, and painted black. That's about all I can really say with certainty.

https://www.repco.com.au/en/parts-service/steering-suspension/shocks-struts-mounting/repco-shock-absorber-rsa-1012/p/A9400383

Don’t buy shit off eBay for fucks sake, not when you have your family ride in your car

The amount of shit it’s insane, fucked shocks, fucked ball joints, fucked tie rods to name a few, just import your parts from us from bilstein , koni, moog and be done

Local stuff from ordered, king springs, superpro, Monroe is all good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

these are listed by that "SuzukiSuper" mob on ebay right ? their customer service is also comparable to the products sold...
And this is where this kind of information is vital. I looked recently for a full tie rod set for mine, and one of the first that came up was that one you mentioned. I remembered the horror stories about other parts from this vendor that have been posted here and decided to avoid them like the pox.

I ordered Wasp because they seem to be a decent mid-range product. That's good enough for me.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

Yeah stay away from Suzuki Super crap years ago i got ball joints from these guys they were absolute rubbish they were all flogged out within 10 thousand kays replaced them all with wasp not a problem since

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, deano551 said:

wasp not a problem since

Rob Mills (not the singer) from NRAP (ebay ID)  (aka the old north Ringwood auto parts store) but now located in Nutfield vic,  carries the WASP branded stuff along with other reputable brands (roadsafe etc), and is excellent to deal with either direct or via ebay, prices are good,  always helpful, super quick postage,  so yeah no need to deal with crap products/suppliers

6 hours ago, wok said:

Rob Mills (not the singer) from NRAP (ebay ID)  (aka the old north Ringwood auto parts store) but now located in Nutfield vic,  carries the WASP branded stuff along with other reputable brands (roadsafe etc), and is excellent to deal with either direct or via ebay, prices are good,  always helpful, super quick postage,  so yeah no need to deal with crap products/suppliers

I have used him good price and service

I bought Reproduction tie rod end boots from Rare Spares, to replace some split boots.

They weren't cheap.

They lasted 1,500km, and I noticed they'd split around the circumference. 

Contacted Rares, and they said three things -

1. they were really only designed for garage queens, not every day drivers.

2. the boots were made by a small family owned company in Taiwan or Malaysia or somewhere similar.

3. they reckoned they must've had a bad batch and so sent me x4 replacements, under warranty.

Long story short... it's damn frustrating, trying to find decent parts for older vehicles, when genuine isn't available anymore.

Even the expensive stuff is sometimes crappy.

I specially imported a few sets of different brand replacement x-series/mustang tierod end boots from the USA.

(at great cost, I might add).

Too nervous to use the rare-spares ones again, tbh.

Been running pedders GSR's for years, never had any issues. Im not 100% sure on bilsteins, have worked on 100's of subarus that have them factory fitted and they all had the same issues, the internals always slogged out and started knocking. May not be an issue across the whole bilstein range, but just be aware as the are not cheap to rebuild or replace. Cant really go wrong with monroes. They well priced and the gt sport range give a good ride.

I’ve used ultra king and bought from super Suzuki or whatever they’re called a few times now, never had an issue.

I think the shocks I just put in the front of the el might be ultra king too.

on the X series the shock/damper is not a stress member so if it fails it's OK, you will know but it won't do anything bad

on the E series the shock/damper IS A STRESS MEMBER and if they fail depending on your speed you're fucked but I like the process of natural selection

On 11/17/2019 at 5:50 AM, 4vxb said:

Been running pedders GSR's for years, never had any issues. Im not 100% sure on bilsteins, have worked on 100's of subarus that have them factory fitted and they all had the same issues, the internals always slogged out and started knocking. May not be an issue across the whole bilstein range, but just be aware as the are not cheap to rebuild or replace. Cant really go wrong with monroes. They well priced and the gt sport range give a good ride.

the KYB's are much better in every way than the Monroe, they only last about 45.000km but outclass Monroe in every single way