Shan

Looking for help AU engine in BA

Hi all,

I'm building a speedway car and unfortunately I need to ripp the Barra engine put and place the au engine in. (No act and DOHC). 

Know very little about these engines but be great if you could provide insights to off things been done and if so what parts are avaliable bolt on. Or even if it can be done. 

Mean to say vct. I am under the impression that sumps ect are different but unsure if I can swap sumps around easy enough. Other thing is gearbox and motor mounts etc. Would a Barra t56 or bolt onto the au motor?

I know Toyota's very well but not fords. Hoping the parts are fairly interchangeable.

i don't know much about post XF really.. but @Thom may know what you need.

i thought the BA sump was still front bowl, so an AU sump should drop in. i also believe the crank and bell housing bolt patterns etc are same.. but should check to be sure.

so in that sense, it all should "just bolt in" (bolt in kits rarely just bolt in though, so you'd expect something to be annoying)

Yeah tbh it sounds too good to be true. I won't know for sure until I have them side by side but yeah would like to make sure I have everything understood so if I got to get what I need it's relatively one trip

Pretty much as long as it all bolts up the rest is easy for me. 

The silly "captain obvious" question....... Why run a B series car if you can't use the engine? Why not run an AU car from the start? 🤔 I know, the answer is probably.. I've already got the car so I'm doing it backwards because the BA is already a racecar... correct?

Because I personally prefer the look of a ba and it's my choice? 

The obvious point I'd like to make is how does this reply/post help me get any closer to the answer I'm looking for?

Not being a smart ass, I figured there must have been a reason and "like it better" is good enough for me too. If it's an early BA then it should be straight swap (fingers crossed). If it was a wagon then you could swap the front sheet metal and have a hybrid. I've thought about it with my daily if the donor ba was the same colour.

Assume that you're not allowed to lock the cams or that sort of thing and have to run the single cam engine? Can an AU single head be fitted to a barra block? That stuff is outside my area of expertise although I thought I remembered conversation among the guys about that kind of thing in dirt circles.

Street stock wont allow any engine after au and it can't be vct engine (which I think one of the au engines is)

Well if it's a straight swap that makes things real easy. Just have to be on the look out now. 

A rusty or damaged donor would be the way to go just in case ford was an ass about the model changes. Series 2 or early 3 I'm guessing. Series one probably isn't worth looking at unless it's the only one without vct.

Do the rules let you cut and weld stuff if needed?

As@Defective said, it should bolt in as the front chassis are fundamentally the same.

Before@Thom chimes in with the proper details, I've learnt that a decent combo can be made with AU bottom end, EF head and EA camshaft. There are plenty of cam grinds available off-the-shelf, or of course custom if you like. They aren't cheap because volume isn't huge.

I'm not sure if vernier cam drives are available for E-series engines but if they are, that would be useful for tuning the torque curve coming out of corners/top end, etc.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

Hi all,

I'm building a speedway car and unfortunately I need to ripp the Barra engine put and place the au engine in. (No act and DOHC). 

Know very little about these engines but be great if you could provide insights to off things been done and if so what parts are avaliable bolt on. Or even if it can be done. 
Mean to say vct. I am under the impression that sumps ect are different but unsure if I can swap sumps around easy enough. Other thing is gearbox and motor mounts etc. Would a Barra t56 or bolt onto the au motor?

I know Toyota's very well but not fords. Hoping the parts are fairly interchangeable.
it should be a fairly simple swap other than wiring, the ba engine mounts, bellhousing, clutch, flywheel power steering pump should all bolt up to any au engine, the sumps are almost identical between au and be with the only difference being internal to suit the different types of oil pump the engines have from each other externally au series 2 and 3 sumps are the same as ba/bf with f2f being different again, if you want to use a ba alternator you will need a series 2 or 3 au engine as the series one engine has different bosses cast into the block and is missing the boss cast into the sump for the alternator mount, you will have to use au (or e series) intake manifold and exhaust manifold/ extractors, as far as wiring goes you can use the au wiring and loom to run the engine with smartlock turned off via a j3 chip (t.a performance sells them), you can use the ba loom and ECU to run the au engine, this does require modifying the ba loom and re tuning the ECU it is tricky but if your half decent at wiring you could do it yourself or if you go to Facebook and look up Bill hooton (he can be found on a couple of the barra conversion pages) he can sell you pre modified a ba loom and ECU to suit au, from what I've heard he has a very good reputation and is very fairly priced or you can go aftermarket ECU if your class allows it, and finally clarkos performance does ac delete brackets for 4.0l