Sign in to follow this  
ILIED

How do YOU put your nine inch together?

I've got my nine inch apart at the moment. My carrier is away at the moment, so I've got a spool to put in for a bit.

I cant remember when I last did mine.

I think I had to set it to .020" backlash. Cant remember how to set the preload on the side bearings.

I dont have to touch the pinion.

So how do you do it?

0.020" sounds about right, if a bit loose. I'd go 0.010" - 0.015", depending on whether the gears are new or old. You should check your tooth contact patch too, a bit of cheap spray paint will suffice.

Preload also depends on whether you're re-using your carrier bearings or not. I say load up the carrier bit by bit till you feel some turning resistance, and a bit more if your bearings are new, to allow for bed-in. I've done a few Borgies this way and all worked fine.

This is all of course if you don't have the actual specs handy.

To actually set up your preload, get your backlash and tooth contact right, then in equal amounts, wind the adjusters in gradually toward each other till you get the right resistance in the bearings.

New bearings, old gears.

The good thing about not touching the pinion is the contact patch should be still the same with the coreect backlash. I grab some bearing blue to check tho.
Cheers

And smash the bottom stud out a d thread that bitch for a bolt so you can do oil changes quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

And smash the bottom stud out a d thread that bitch for a bolt so you can do oil changes quick

Best thing to do on a 9"

Nah mate I've own four effys and have three not a stock thing but a good thing even buy magnetized bolt to thread in there to collect and shit if you really want to get fancy haha

Yeah, I spent ages getting the broken parts out, but I think it was tungsten, not steel.

I run a big fuckoff magnet on my engine sump. I think I'll take that advice and put a magnet in that plug in the diff when I get my wavetrac back