destructo

whistly / wheezy sound ef falcon

Hi guys.

My ef falcon makes an intermittent wheezy whistling noise when taking off sometimes.
I've posted 2 videos which hopefully you can hear what i mean:

Does anyone have any idea on what could be causing this noise?

It only does it in gear while driving around so it's really hard to pin point what it could be. Even then it won't do it all the time. If i have it in neutral or park and rev it it won't do it. Even in drive with the handbrake on it won't.

Another thing to note it does it more often once the car has warmed up. Doesn't really do it when it's cold.

I suspect something transmission related as it's only when moving. But the transmission shifts good. I also posted this on the ford forums a while back but no one has been able to identify the cause so i thought i would ask here too.

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

The only time I have ever come across that whistle is when my ex-brother in law fitted a twin exhaust tip to his single exhaust 5.0 AU. Acted like a tuning fork. You didn't happen to do that, did you?

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, gerg said:

The only time I have ever come across that whistle is when my ex-brother in law fitted a twin exhaust tip to his single exhaust 5.0 AU. Acted like a tuning fork. You didn't happen to do that, did you?

Don't think it was the exhaust as in the videos it was stock, but now with the new 2.5 inch it still does the noise.

3 hours ago, bear351c said:

Not a slipping belt, or idler pulley..?

Intake manifold gasket flapping.?

Hand brake dragging.?

The intake manifold gasket has been replaced as it was cracked causing a misfire, so I doubt it's that.

The belt was also replaced as the mechanic who did the water pump broke the old belt in the process (doesn't rule it out though).

If the belt / pulley was slipping I'd be able to hear it at idle, or when giving it revs in the driveway wouldn't I? Or would it be intermittent like what i am experiencing now?

Hadn't thought of handbrake.

I can get vids of the engine bay if need be.

Oh and if it starts whistling and I gun the throttle it will go away. Also seems to only do it in first or 2nd gear. Once your cruising it's fine even with bursts of acceleration for overtaking etc. It's just the takeoff.

Gday, if you have the rear wheels up on stands, but have the car in drive/pretending to take off does it make the sounds ?

could it be the wheel bearings ?

cheers

Warren

I honestly have no idea about the hand brake.

The times when it does the noise might be a bit too specific for it to be a wheel bearing.

I got new tyres 2018 but it still did the noise on the old ones, and the guys at the tyre shop did all the alignments etc.

I'll have to give the driving on stands a go.

I'm not 100% sure on this but it SEEMS to have a higher chance of doing the noise under a load. Such as taking off up hill, or while taking a corner etc..

2 hours ago, dex said:

Transmission slip/flaring ,?

try on the brake , bring the load up on throttle , box will " squark " slip /flare ,,

let the brake off 

I'll give that a shot tomorrow. Seems possible as it does it more when at operating temp, so could be something to do with the transmission fluid.

Although the transmission never slips while driving and shifts good. But it could be slipping ever so slightly as to make the noise but still transmit the power to the wheels

Ok so I had the breaks on and slowly brought the revs up. No unusual noises other then creaking from the wheels/brakes as the car is trying to take off. But definitely no slipping

another update, when I put the gearstick in 1 instead of D, it will sometimes make a nasty noise when taking off, like a really worn out sound. idk what this could be but i feel its related. I will try get a vid of this. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Slipping B1 (1st/Reverse) band?

It kinda sounds like transmission squark.

Could also be failing planetary gears, if it only does it in 1st/2nd?

3rd gear is essentially direct drive through the transmission.

On 10/9/2019 at 7:24 PM, SPArKy_Dave said:

Slipping B1 (1st/Reverse) band?

It kinda sounds like transmission squark.

Could also be failing planetary gears, if it only does it in 1st/2nd?

3rd gear is essentially direct drive through the transmission.

hi dave i tried to get a vid of the noise but of course when i am taping it doesn't do it.

What does transmission "squark" sound like? Is it literally like a bird squark / chirping sound or something else?

The whistle sound only does in first and second.

The other noise i mentioned earlier (the worn out one) only does it with the gear stick dragged in 1. Its like a whine but in a bad way (not the classic falcon 1st gear whine) And again, only does it sometimes.

The gearbox itself seems to operate perfectly. The torque converter locks up, it shifts thru all the gears, has good kickdown and doesn't slip when driving.

thanks for your help.

1 hour ago, destructo said:

What does transmission "squark" sound like? Is it literally like a bird squark / chirping sound or something else?

Pretty close to this, but more mechanical sounding -

Sqwark can be defined in a few ways ,,,

big take off transmission slip sort of noise ,

to mid range throttle stomp . 

Hard to explain unless you've experienced it . 

Or putting up with it every day . 

ok here is a video of the noise it does sometimes when you take off with the gearstick in 1.

the camera didn't really pick it up the first time but you can definitely hear it the second time at 0:19 in the vid.

Again only does it with the gearstick in 1 not D. and only sometimes.

Any ideas what this is?

It sounds like a noisy 1st gear planetary thrust bearing. The weird thing is how you reckon it only does it when manually shifted. It should start off in 1st when in D as well. Could you try turning off Eco mode (ie put it in power mode to make it shift to 2nd later) to try and get that noise to happen in D?

1 hour ago, gerg said:

It sounds like a noisy 1st gear planetary thrust bearing. The weird thing is how you reckon it only does it when manually shifted. It should start off in 1st when in D as well. Could you try turning off Eco mode (ie put it in power mode to make it shift to 2nd later) to try and get that noise to happen in D?

That whirring noise never happens in D, only in 1. Even though it takes off in first gear in D. Even without eco mode.

Here is a clip where the car is behaving itself (no weird noises). First clip taking off in D, second in 1.

https://youtu.be/UeEddhjoJLQ

and here is a clip taking off in D, where the car lets out a little whistle sound (the noise im trying to get rid of) (around the 5 second mark).

https://youtu.be/7IDijvH4_n8

I am still thinking it has something to do with the 1st planetary thrust. It was a bigger issue on EL to BA2 because they had a sharper helical cut to the gears, causing more end thrust to the planetary hub. My brother in law's XR6T had its gearbox lunch itself in this manner and the gearbox bloke said that the common fix was to put the earlier planetary in to handle the torque.

But I digress.... Short of getting the box swapped or overhauled, maybe you could try some kind of additive or change the oil to a higher quality type, to try and possibly reduce the friction creating the noise.

In my time working on Mercedes buses, many auto shift problems were cured by a simple oil change. Maybe start there?

Thanks for your help, I will try changing the oil. Hopefully it gets rid of the noise, as otherwise the box works perfectly. Pulls hard in power mode on freeway on ramps.

Castrol TQ95 is the correct oil for this one?

53 minutes ago, destructo said:

Castrol TQ95 is the correct oil for this one?

Yes, I personally only use TQ95 in the 4spd Auto's.

Several oil manufacturers claim to have multi-vehicle synthetic transmission fluids,

but I always prefer to source and use the actual proper Castrol fluid.