Server maintenance Read more... ×
Jack major

1999 au xr6 motor into a 2002 au Fairmont ghia

So I’ve put a au xr6 engine and 5 speed gearbox into a au Fairmont ghia have gotten everything connected and all that I get all ignition lights up but won’t turn over I’ve changed computers for the xr6 into the Fairmont any help would be much appreciated and starter motor is all hooked up aswell and fuses and relays are all good

G'Day, was the Fairmont Ghia an auto ? could be that you need to loop/join the inhibitor switch wires. (not sure on the AU how this works, but this used to be common in x-series swaps to forget to sort the inhibitor switch wires out

have you got the manual loom from the gearbox connected up also ?

cheers

Warren

Excellent suggestion. I second that ☝️

Good chance it's the wiring to the inhibitor switch needs... something... You remember on the auto when you removed it, the inhibitor switch is the white plastic module on the side of the transmission. You may need to loop a section of it or put a resistor in there or something.

P.S. I love a good AU, especially a Fairmont Ghia.

I directly tried to wind over my starter motor and it just kept clunking as if it were jammed if ur starter motor stuffs will it still clunk when I turn the key? Because i can’t hear anything when turning the key

depends which part of the starter is stuffed, the solenoid usually goes, so you usually hear the relay click, and then get nothing,

try giving the starter a love tap with hammer on the casing without breaking it, it may turn over

If the starter just clunks with 12v directly onto its terminals, try as @wok said and give the solenoid a knock with something solid. Gentle tap with a hammer or tap with a big spanner. My XD starter used to jam all the time so I'd jump out, give it a tap to free it up, jump back in and it'd be OK again. If that's the case, it can get you out of trouble for now, but new starter required long-term obviously.

The Fairmont Ghia has so many small extras over the XR6 (Falcon) so I'm not surprised you have found it a much nicer car. Plush carpet, extra interior lights, felt headliner, much nicer dashboard etc etc.

I love my AU Fairmont Ghia... Being 2002 yours would be a series 3 though, correct? They have the nice leather seats with cloth inserts and other small refinements.