Server maintenance Read more... ×
FLO

Strange Mercury Silver

Good evening all I currently have a 97 EL Futura which according the to compliance plate is X5 Mercury Silver in colour. I have previously owned a 97 EL Futura Wagon which was also stamped X5 but the colours between the two cars in noticeably different. 

The wagon was silver plain and simple and looked the same regardless of light and angle but the current sedan as pink/caramel/bluish hue to depending on the light and the angle the car is viewed like a subtle harlequin finish. I am not the only one who has noticed this my wife thought I bought a pink car and my sister a very pale metallic blue.My mechanic has also commented on how very are not very many around with this effect.

Any ideas?

Ta.

10 hours ago, FLO said:

Good evening all I currently have a 97 EL Futura which according the to compliance plate is X5 Mercury Silver in colour. I have previously owned a 97 EL Futura Wagon which was also stamped X5 but the colours between the two cars in noticeably different. 

The wagon was silver plain and simple and looked the same regardless of light and angle but the current sedan as pink/caramel/bluish hue to depending on the light and the angle the car is viewed like a subtle harlequin finish. I am not the only one who has noticed this my wife thought I bought a pink car and my sister a very pale metallic blue.My mechanic has also commented on how very are not very many around with this effect.

Any ideas?

Ta.

I know a guy with a blue el has the same affect, looks pinky, purply. I've also seen another blue el like this. I just assume it had had a fancy coat painted over the base colour, maybe as a dealer option? 

it may have been repainted had had the standard metallic tinter removed and had a harlequin metallic tint added in its place    looking at the mint condition of it I guess its a professional job   um that's my opinion  and I have been known to be more wrong  than right   oops   what does everyone else think 

my dad's ef Fairmont ghia that was garaged its entire life until he bought it had the same effect, it too was mercury silver, after he sold it the bloke that bought it from him parted it out for the 5.0 running gear and its been sitting in a paddock for 10 years, when I saw it the other day the paint no longer has the flip flop effect and just looks like a plain silver ( its so bad the clear is peeling in places) he turned a really nice ghia into a pile of garbage but the xt the running gear went into is a really nice car to drive

its just a pearl effect,my new cardinal red has pearl in it,you will find one car has been garaged more and the sun has not roasted the clear coat as much maybe.

Yep, this^^

Pearlescent paint is in most cases actually like glass dust that is mixed into the base or clear and relies on lighting to create the dazzle effect. Time of day, viewing angle, the number of base coats and even the amount of clear coat on top will change the look dramatically. It will be more noticeable on a well looked after vehicle because the pigments break down over time. Reds usually fade first. It will be very obvious if a paint job of this type has been touched up as its almost impossible to match the factory methods by hand, often seen when the flip goes the wrong way and it looks darker/lighter from the same angle as the original paint. Painters in the smash industry hate matching them especially the three layer white pearls on Toyota /Honda etc.

Thank you all for you input my apologies for taking so long to acknowledge but I have been away. I am curious because I need to have a small amount of body work carried out and I am concerned about matching the colour.