SPACK

T5 GEARBOX NOISE

Hopefully some one has had this problem, and can help. After driving the car last week for about 20-30 mins, all at the legal speed limit, so there was no speeding, no taking off like i am doing the 1/4 mile, I noticed, first a "BEARING" type noise when i depressed the clutch and changed from 2-3rd. At the next set of lights, turning the stereo down, I took off, staying in 1st a little longer, just when i was going to change into 2nd, I heard, what sounded like METAL RUBBING METAL, changed into 2nd, ball bearing sound, then at about 23 to 2500 RPM,s the METAL sound again, I depressed the clutch, to change into 3rd, did it, and as i released the clutch pedal, the noise could be heard again..This noise is only heard going UP through the gears. On thursday i had the box pulled down really the only thing they could find wrong is the REVERSE gear cluster, slightly worn,...I had the bearings replaced anyway, and new seals.

Went out today, sunday, Same thing happened again, same amount of time, same noise..1st, off, I am thinking, 20-30 mins..HEAT, 2ND its the front INPUT BEARING....thoughts please...OH, last year I had a EXEDY SPORTS CLUTCH put in....

if you can have it running while the rear wheels are safely off the ground you can probably isolate it while at home(or on a hoist) check it's not the diff also.

usually gearbox bearings are pretty constant when rooted. 

could be the thrust race if it's only heard pushing the clutch in? could possibly test this when the engine is running even in neutral, rev the car up.. no noise, press the clutch in(still in neutral) rev it up, does the noise appear.. if so, thrust race possible. ah, unless i've got it backwards one could be spigot bearing , other could be thrust race.. @Thom or @gerg to the rescue.. My brain is fried today already

.. [mention=43]Thom[/mention] or [mention=244]gerg[/mention] to the rescue.. My brain is fried today already

Lol... Nope, not much to add except pilot race in the back of the crank could be buggered. This should always be done with a new clutch.

Here are some pointers though:

A dud throwout will make a noise no matter what gear it's in. It can also make a ticking noise with the foot off the clutch. As for being rpm-sensitive, all I can suggest is that maybe the throwout has lost its grease and is dry chattering.

Pocket bearing will make a noise in all gears except 4th, with 3rd being the loudest. However it will quiet down when you feather the throttle or change gears.

It seems like the noise is dependent on a difference in engine/input shaft rpm.

Without hearing/seeing it for ourselves, it's very hard to diagnose.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

It appears to need at least 20-30 mins of driving/usage/heat before the noise appears. The noise appears at a certain REV..2200-2500 rpm...when i am in 2nd gear there is a BEARING sound and i can actually "feel" the gear stick slightly moving in my hand, yet the gearbox mechanic cant find any thing wrong internally, the bearings are new, and the seals changed...

2 hours ago, SPACK said:

It appears to need at least 20-30 mins of driving/usage/heat before the noise appears. The noise appears at a certain REV..2200-2500 rpm...when i am in 2nd gear there is a BEARING sound and i can actually "feel" the gear stick slightly moving in my hand, yet the gearbox mechanic cant find any thing wrong internally, the bearings are new, and the seals changed...

i'd be asking gearbox dude to drive the car, or at least be in it when it's happening. wonder if it could be clutch related, or universal joint etc