OLM8

351 ?

Hi is there a quick easy way to identify this engine as a 351?

It maybe for sale and I was told it’s a 351, but the seller wasn’t sure.

It’s in a 80’s Fairlane, a special model I think it’s called a Cartier but I’m not sure.

Cheers

90379aaaa3fa58e1a556c868c9f4241b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pull a spark plug out of it, get a bit of wire or a cable tie put it in the spark plug hole wind the engine over so the piston is at the top of its stroke, mark your bit of wire/cable tie with a texta then wind the engine over until the piston is at the bottom of its stroke and mark your piece of the wire/cable tie again then measure the distance between the two marks 3 inches means it's a 302, 3.5 inches means it's a 351

37 minutes ago, deankdx said:

i thought all Cartiers were 351. could be wrong, @gromet88 is the guru for sure on these models

Sadly not all. Some were 302 and even there were a few 6s but they are rarest of all as 358(ish) from memory were 351. The only things with Cartier’s that you could not option was the colours and the interiors. You had a choice of 2 colours, a port wine burgundy or a special gold blend, and the interior you only had 1 choice. But with the purchase, you received all the special badging and special embroidery, and you also, wait for it, as a ‘gift’, received a purse, an umbrella, and a limited edition Cartier Watch. You could also ‘add’ to the options of a briefcase, perfume, socks and a tie.

On the topic though, have you got any photos of the whole car? Is the whole car for sale or just the motor?

Hi

I believe the body is totally rusted out.

When I know more and can get a good look at it I will update here.

Thanks for all the helpful info.

olm8 grab that engine and keep it a secret from the owner at present,it could have a pillow block or nazcar block as many top level cars got these blocks thrown in to them.see if you can get underneath it and shine a torch from underneath around where the block meets tranny and look for the XE casting number ,you could have a $2000 block there for a song.

many late xd's and xe's manily esp's and some ltds had the extremly rare nazcar pillow block,i have never been able to snag one but they do exist out there and people dont no what they have,on the other hand it could just be a normal black block still good,but you have a good chance it might be one,belive it or not more 302c engines had these rare blocks than 351s,check it out man .

1 hour ago, OLM8 said:

Hi

I believe the body is totally rusted out.

When I know more and can get a good look at it I will update here.

Thanks for all the helpful info.

Yeah that’s ok, I have plenty of bodies (as criminal as that sounds), it would

more be the odds and ends I’d be looking at. What state/area is it in? 

See how you go bud.

8 hours ago, winton said:

Do you have any of these items?

Nope, all these items were pretty quickly either sold or disposed of. I’ve tried for years to get the specific notes on the items and their special runs but no one can tell me what they actually looked like so to speak and what their model numbers etc were so it’s really just a hidden secret

6 hours ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

was the cartiers built at all the same time like a run of 400 or something or were the builds scatterd over a few years ?

They were only a run in the FCs, from 1979 through to late 1980. I have seen some 81 plated ones but I suspect they were actually made a year or so before and sat at the factory awaiting the order. I would think they made them in one hit but maybe with a few blank spots in case someone wanted something odd. The exact number so to speak, is very sketchy but the registered number is 400. So many have been wrecked over the years and there were actually a few that didn’t receive the special option code on the vin plate for some reason so it’s very hard to actually pin point the actual number. Ford did some weird stuff back then.

The Cartier wasn’t actually ‘officially’ a model, only a package