Server maintenance Read more... ×
OLM8

XY Column Manual to Single Rail

Hi all,

I’m new to this place it’s only my second ever post.

I’ve got a XY , 6cyl 250 pre cross flow car, that’s 3 speed column manual,bench seat.

I’m looking for info and tips on converting it to a 4 speed single rail.

I’ve got some questions...

Is it worthwhile doing?

Will it drive better?

My hydro clutch and fork is on the passenger side, can I keep my existing bell housing and all internals , clutch and flywheel etc?

Do I need to mod the tailshaft length?

Gear lever clearance near the bench seat all ok?

Speedo drive/cable mods?

Other than the box , what other parts do I need?

Any info or tips would be appreciated.

If anyone’s got a good single rail box for sale ,I heard the Cortina box is better ? please pm me.

Happy to pay freight also.

Thank you

OLM8

PS it’s just a cruiser, patina paint, original car, nothing fancy.

4489db6e1b58e2c60be4c765ecdffa37.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow.!  That looks SWEEET.... 

Yes, you will notice the difference. The gear ratio's are different, and of course that changes how the car feels. It may not go any better, but, it will feel like it does, make sense?

Not sure on the tailshaft length, you may have to wait until you have the 4 speed, and check the length of the whole 'box.

Bench seat MAY be an issue, but you might be able to modify the gear shifter and get away with it. Bit of heat, bit of bendy, bendy...

Clutch kit MAY fit, if the single rail has the same input shaft size and spline as the 3 speed. Check online with Xtreme Clutch or similar, see if the part numbers are the same for the kit.

Welcome aboard. Would love to see more pics if you get time to start up a build thread...  👍

depending on where you are@chestnutxe has a whole hydraulic single rail setup for sale, although with the bench you may be better off with a cortina box, the shifter is located further forward than a falcon single rail, you'll need to modify the trans hump as well

yeah i was thinking also the 3 speeds ran a 3.23 or 3.5 diff ratio, so you may like to change that to a 2.92 when you fit a 4 speed( 4 speed's 1st gear will help it, will take off better even than it does now, plus cruise better)

or you can probably adapt the T5 to the current bell housing, (gear stick will be tight fit but can probably do the curved stick also..)

the cortina box had a gearshift mounted further forward is the only difference to a falcon box. 

not sure what the other bits will need(tailshaft, clutch etc.. i thought the clutch plate was different at min)

I agree with all advice so far.

I will add that not all single rails were created equal. If running a 250, you're best off with the 3.06 1st ratio set. This is well matched to the midrange torque of the 250, whereas the 3.48 ratio box might have you off the boil often.

A good Cortina box might be hard to come by, but what you can do is try and find a stuffed one and transfer the extension housing, shifter and shift rail over to a good Falcon box with the ideal ratios.

The shifter might end up a bit far away from you in order to clear the seat but you can easily modify the stick to sit back over closer to you, sort of like an F100 setup, but not so goofy.

The clutch should be the same but I don't know if you can get a 3 speed bellhousing to mate to a single rail. Maybe if the 3 speed bellhousing mount face has enough meat on it to line up with the holes in the single rail, then it's a simple drill-and-tap for (I think) 7/16" UNC.

I did a similar thing with a toploader bell and a T5, as my single rail bell didn't have sufficient mounting face to line up with the lower 2 gearbox bolts.

A hydraulic SR bell will be hard to come by.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

I’ve assumed the T5 was a lot longer to the stick ?

and would be a drama with the bench seat

so I hadn’t considered the T5.

My diff at 3.23 : 1
is great on the open road.

I converted my sisters XP Ute 10 odd year ago.

Her's had the 3 on the tree and hydraulic clutch and we used a single rail gearbox.

Now we used her 3 speed bell housing and we had to get the centre hole machined out to fit

we also had to get a new hole drilled and tapped in the bell so the box would bolt up to it.

We used a brand new 4 speed clutch kit when we installed it. 

Then we dummied it up under the floor so i could mark out where to cut the hole for the shifter.

We never had to mod the trans tunnel, was simple cut a hole and stick the shifter thru.

We did have to get a new gearbox cross member as the 3 speed was different to the 4 speed 

and i think i just got that from Sydney classic Falcon? (i have a fuzzy memory)

Never changed diff ratio's, just drove it and it worked. 

Still does today , she still got it 😊

Oh and hers has bucket seats so never had issues with shifter.

She has an XF centre consol in there and all look well. 

Thanks

I like it the idea of modding my
Current 3 speed bell housing.

I’m thinking the 4 speed my have a different input shaft spline.

A 4speed clutch plate may fit my current 3 speed pressure plate.

After a bit of soul searching

I reckon the best solution for my application is to go..

T5 with the Mustang / Short rear housing to make it work with my bench seat.

Having the extra legs in 5th is a bonus.

What do you guys think?

Has anyone here done this conversion onto a pre crossflow?

you need an xf t5 bellhousing, it will bolt straight on to your 250, but they are cable clutch, chevy s10 has the shifter further forward than any of the other t5's

Thanks I worked out that

Dellow do a bell housing to suit my hydro clutch set up.

Dellow and Mal Woods , do a Mustang style short extension housing to bring the gear leaver forward.

Thanks for all the info guys

I haven’t done anything more at this stage.

It’s funky but sort of old school fun on the column and there’s not many unmolested ones left.

See what happens down the track.

Update! And tech questionc00419ad03e10449187e264ccf7cdadd.jpg -20fe876652744d675a84a25bf3d921da.jpg

Hi all

I’ve found a good Cortina Single Rail box that has the short stubby
extension housing so I’m confident the gear stick position will work with my bench seat.

(It won’t arrive here for about two weeks)

The car currently is Borg 3 speed column shift.

Will the single rail bolt straight up to my existing bell housing?

Or would I be better off modifying a 6cyl to Toploader bell housing ?

Thanks
OLM8

The 3 speed has a different bolt pattern again (so I believe). You will need a 6 cyl to single rail hydraulic bell. They are probably getting a bit hard to find but not impossible.

Thanks for that.

I was hoping it might bolt straight up

I might re drill what I’ve got to make it fit

Cheers

I think of all the bellhousings, those 3 speed ones are the best to mod because the machined mounting face drops down low enough to cover many gearbox bolt patterns. The single rail ones aren't suitable for that, especially when going to a T5. Although with that 3 speed, the input shaft bearing retainer is (I think) smaller in diameter, meaning either the hole in the 3sp bellhousing will have to be bored to suit the SR or the SR input retainer has to be machined down to suit (if it's possible to do that without hitting the bolt holes) . My memory is fuzzy on this so check all these bits first.

Thanks that’s interesting to know.

I will try the same and mod my XY , 3 speed bell housing . The one that’s currently running in the car.

The 6cyl to toploader bell housing I also have, I won’t molest or use that unless I have to.

The single 36e9b14da0432e80be99dfff1e41178d.jpggearbox should arrive in a week or two, I might try and fit it before Xmas. See how I go for spare time.

Cheers