Server maintenance Read more... ×
Aussieyobbo16

Xg problem child.

So my xgs got a blown head gasket and god knows what else wrong with it. I have fairly easily access to an au that’s in dedicated gas and has a Tickford 4.0l in it. Wondering what problems imma run into putting that in the xg on dual fuel. Also give that it’s not yet regoed would this give me a problem with Rwc in vic. There also seems to be a major electrical issue that’s causing it to start but not continue to run as well as keeping all the lights on when the key is on. I unfortunately don’t have a code reader so I can’t find out if there’s anything wrong on that side of thing. Pls help I kinda really need it on the road this month. 

with the AU engine you'll either need to remove the sump have a piece cut made in it and welded to clear the swaybar. or pay for a tuffmounts swaybar for barra clearance($400 odd)

personally, i'd fix the headgasket on the XG by fitting an AU headgasket if the surfaces are not pitted etc

i don't think an AU engine would be any different running on dual fuel, a mate of mine fitted an AU engine to his XG using the tuff mounts sway bar, its got all XG manifolds etc on, and was a pain in the ass to convert the belts over(otherwise you need to adapt thermo fans, and radiator hose outlets different sizes also)  the AU engine doesn't go ENOUGH different to justify changing to in my opinion. 

10 hours ago, Aussieyobbo16 said:

There also seems to be a major electrical issue that’s causing it to start but not continue to run as well as keeping all the lights on when the key is on

i had this issue with My XG, it turned out to be the IGNITION SWITCH(bit behind the lock assy with the wires coming out. ) these are pinned in(unlike XF etc that have grub screws) 

depending how handy you are you can replace this yourself. .if not handy, i'd find someone who has done them before(Baywood auto wreckers were reasonably priced to supply and fit but didn't have one when i asked, so i went to pick a part and got My own. and fitted it myself.. https://www.whitepages.com.au/baywood-auto-wreckers-pty-ltd-11461408/bayswater-vic-11461404B ) 

i had this issue with My XG, it turned out to be the IGNITION SWITCH(bit behind the lock assy with the wires coming out. ) these are pinned in(unlike XF etc that have grub screws) 

I wouldn’t doubt a problem with the ignition cos it had been removed and replaced with a xh barrel that didn’t fit when I bought it and I have since replace the majority of the ignition system. Honestly thinking it’s worth just buying another one cos I don’t have the time or money to keep sorting these issues out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The AU engine will fit, if you put all the XG things onto the bare AU block - Sump, intake manifold, brackets, alternator/ac compressor, etc.

It's alot of work.

If the wiring has been mucked around with, you'll have to undo all the dodgyness first, to avoid reliability problems.

I would definitely suggest, to get a nice un-modified one, if you're using it as a daily driver.
AU utes are probably easier to find, and better daily drivers, to be honest.

Yeah I’ve really only got this weekend to be changin a motor and it’s sposed to raining. Think imma try and find one that’s gonna cost more than 300$ to buy and hope it ain’t got so many gremlins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The AU engine will fit, if you put all the XG things onto the bare AU block - Sump, intake manifold, brackets, alternator/ac compressor, etc.
It's alot of work.

If the wiring has been mucked around with, you'll have to undo all the dodgyness first, to avoid reliability problems.

I would definitely suggest, to get a nice un-modified one, if you're using it as a daily driver.
AU utes are probably easier to find, and better daily drivers, to be honest.
e series sump can't be swapped onto an au engine without machine work, even then you have to use a el hybrid sump (the main caps are larger to support the larger main bearings) and to put a tin sump on an au engine you have to swap the rear main cap to an el hybrid (then the block would have to be line bored) the au has a flat surface where the sump gasket goes because they have a single piece sump gasket that locates in a groove in the alloy sump the e series have grooves machined into the rear main cap to take a traditional multi piece sump gasket