Server maintenance Read more... ×
waderobertson

Replacement heater vacuum lines

I'm looking to re-install a heater unit in an 86 XF but have a bit of an issue in that several of the vacuum lines have hardened, cracked and perished overtime.

I've looked high and low for replacement lines but the buggers are quite small (3mm OD and 1mm ID) and the only one that's close is 3mm OD and 2mm ID - not sure if the larger ID will cause pressure issues resulting in the vents not opening and closing.

Has anyone replaced these with an aftermarket option before or knows if I can get a new original parts set?

Cheers,

Wade.

are you sure it's an XF? XFs had plastic vac lines, (don't perish... well, not that' i've seen yet.)

the XD and XE were rubber, and they are shit.. (were perished 20yrs ago.)

i don't think the diameter will be an issue other than taking up more space if they are bigger, or just being a pain to make them seal otherwise. 

@SPArKy_Dave might be the only one who's got a clue if they can be sourced still

On 8/26/2019 at 10:21 PM, deankdx said:

are you sure it's an XF? XFs had plastic vac lines, (don't perish... well, not that' i've seen yet.)

the XD and XE were rubber, and they are shit.. (were perished 20yrs ago.)

i don't think the diameter will be an issue other than taking up more space if they are bigger, or just being a pain to make them seal otherwise. 

@SPArKy_Dave might be the only one who's got a clue if they can be sourced still

These are the ones I'm talking about within the engine bay

IMG_20190901_29951.jpg

i haven't ever seen cracked ones .. guess if the heater box was in the sun it might(from a wreck?)

slip other vac hose over those ones and carry on.. bit of superglue to seal/keep them on

A bit of contact cement and heat shrink tube should be able to seal most problems with cracks or pinched lines. I don't think heat shrink tubing like super glue that's why I suggest contact adhesive.

5 hours ago, 2redrovers said:

A bit of contact cement and heat shrink tube should be able to seal most problems with cracks or pinched lines. I don't think heat shrink tubing like super glue that's why I suggest contact adhesive.

Well that sounds like its worth a try! I have 2 units off wrecks and both have perished lines at the engine bay end. Might use the heat shrink/ cement to join two good bits together.

On 9/2/2019 at 9:52 PM, 2redrovers said:

Just watch that the glue doesn't get into the vac tube itself. If you're splicing two lines, maybe double up on the heat shrink to keep the ends in line.

I reckon a length of 1mm wire down the guts should sort alignment. Will let you know how it goes...