Server maintenance Read more... ×
Panko

Transporting engine

Hi guys, 

Im picking up my new engine next week, its about 3-4 hours drive home. 

Whats the best way to transport a 250 crossflow in a trailer? 

Thanks in advance 

Got an old tyre to sit it on? Off the rim, tie it down to each corner of the trailer and check it after going around the first block for movement. I brought an xf motor back from Wonthaggi like that with no problems.

Hmm i was going thinking of knocking up a timber frame for it to sit in. But i guess a tyre could work. 

Just figured coming from Shepperton to melbourne something more secure might be the go 

I think i should be ok. 

We have a left over timber sleeper sitting here i can cut up. 

I love to make a steel crate/dolly for it. But timber will be faster and easy 

I think i should be ok. 

We have a left over timber sleeper sitting here i can cut up. 

I love to make a steel crate/dolly for it. But timber will be faster and easy 

Got a couple star pickets laying around and a welder?

i've moved heaps of them with the sump bowl sitting in the guts of an old tyre. tie it as Rod said on the second post. tie to alternator bracket, inlet manifold and exhaust manifold. 

if it's a bare block, you'll be struggling to find things to tie it to.. find some bolts and get something that can bolt to the engine(seat belts i've often used) and tie from them.
if it was empty of oil, i'd even lay it on it's side. but if you do that, make sure it's not going to dribble oil from anywhere (onto the road = bad) 

One of those what if moments..
ee6c25cc584e5ac13dd8d7803ae5378d.jpg
Generic car ramp..
58ae4e0f4935c44d14eef26794c78ac9.jpg43b43618f487fc92eddc6997facec81b.jpg23d4ab3959bb22a94c6e74d72ddad49a.jpgb993e154fd8fa3e2d8eb7697190abebb.jpg
It looks like it will sit under the sump lip but can't be 100% sure because my engine has a trans attached. It looks good though and makes a cradle easy, just chock up the back end for transport and weld legs on it later.

Gday, I have used pallets cut in half and flipped over, I screw 6 cheap solid plastic casters (local tool has them for 3 bucks each) to the underside (technically the pallet top) for once the motor is at home, but agree the old tyre with ratchet straps to all corners of trailer work really well