Server maintenance Read more... ×
james34cameron

LPG horsepower gaining mods

Hey everyone im new to this form and new to the world of modding lpg cars (and mods in general)

So I purchased a Bf LPG falcon and want to start modding it, I have no idea where to start or how I go around doing so'

I've got a plan to turbo it but I first want to get confident with working on the engine. Also, id like to have other parts added before I go down that road.

My question is what would you guys recommend doing first, like what should be the first few mods to help gain horsepower, as I do plan for this car to turn into my drift car and id like to keep it gas

even if that means having a hard time modding or finding things. I'm willing to put in the effort is what I'm saying

I am not sure on this, so others in the know may shoot me down.

That said, I have a little LPG knowledge.

I have experience with gas, but not in a forced induction situation. ( Impco systems mostly)

My thoughts would be to convert from the complex converter/simple mixer system fitted factory, and change to a simple converter/complex mixer system.

A B2 converter and Gasresearch mixer is a known quantity with blow through LPG systems.

It can be made work very well.

Other people have had great results with Impco mixer and converter systems with forced induction.

I have not done either, but I know a lot of people have with great results.

I don't think many have gone to the trouble of modding an LPG Barra. Same principle applies to them as with a petrol or diesel.... More air and fuel in, more bang, bigger torques. Spin it harder and more horsepowers. It's not easy when this engine is pretty much maxed out already and being a long-stroke design, is hard to get it to rev more than it does.

Of course, the usual exhaust mods might wake it up a bit, but with LPG you are also dealing with a fuel that takes up more space in the inlet tract than just plain air so there is only so much fuel/air you can get in.

Maybe look at camshafts and what mods they do on NA Barras. I'd say again, not many bother with an NA tune when turbos are so easy to build now and proven to gain so much more, as in dollar per hp.

Ford had already hot-rodded it as much as they could, so there's little headroom to improve. Really the only next step is to put it in something lighter.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

I think part of the issue is the LPG itself.  Years gone by, it was great, with an octane rating around 100. But over the years (I believe) they have watered down the mix. 50/50 Propane Butane, but now it's more like straight BBQ gas.  Many older builds (clevo's etc) started pinging, as their compression was too high. At least with Petrol you can add a booster or switch to Premium.

May be wrong... 

Usually am.

Drink a lot.

I think part of the issue is the LPG itself.  Years gone by, it was great, with an octane rating around 100. But over the years (I believe) they have watered down the mix. 50/50 Propane Butane, but now it's more like straight BBQ gas.  Many older builds (clevo's etc) started pinging, as their compression was too high. At least with Petrol you can add a booster or switch to Premium.

May be wrong... 

Usually am.

Drink a lot.

You might be right there Bear, if what you say is correct about it being BBQ gas (butane) then the octane has dropped. Propane used to be the gun fuel to get... if you found an Elgas bowser, that was apparently 100% propane. This coming directly from the blokes that used to cart it from the refinery to the servo.

Still, butane has an OK octane rating at 94, vs 112 for propane.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

i think one of the things about 100% propane is it burns hotter? could = other issues i guess.

there is a local gas supply here that sells it at the pump for same price as the servos sell the mix (was never conveniently open when i was due to fill up. 

My high compression XF would ping on gas but wouldn't ping on 98 petrol and that was with the dizzy advance locked(dyno guy reckoned that suited the LPG best on engines like mine? it was a strong engine, chopped My mates tickford VCT 4.0 fairlane )

Hey everyone im new to this form and new to the world of modding lpg cars (and mods in general)

So I purchased a Bf LPG falcon and want to start modding it, I have no idea where to start or how I go around doing so'
I've got a plan to turbo it but I first want to get confident with working on the engine. Also, id like to have other parts added before I go down that road.

My question is what would you guys recommend doing first, like what should be the first few mods to help gain horsepower, as I do plan for this car to turn into my drift car and id like to keep it gas
even if that means having a hard time modding or finding things. I'm willing to put in the effort is what I'm saying

The usual exhaust and intake will help even diff ratio swap. But more serious stuff your heading into ecu tunes, camshafts etc. This all depend on the gas system factory egas or aftermarket impco vapour on how far you can go. There was a FG ecopli xr6 fitted with a turbo year ago Done that was pushing good numbers. So there are places that are turbocharging lpg cars. It’s like anything is possible just depends how deep your pockets are. Best to talk to them. Sad too Ford engineers had a factory xr6 ecopli turbo going through its final tests ready for its debut when Ford USA pulled the plug on local manufacture and ended it there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last time I checked its supposed to be 100 octane mixture of propane/butane at 50/50 (minimum is 40% propane, depending on supply) according the the MSDS for autogas.

https://www.elgas.com.au/sds-version-jan-2019

you can get 100% propane at supagas and i think it does increase temperature abit not sure about performance

I think mixer is by far the best for turbos

If I were you I would wait for the Garrett electric turbo to come out....zero turbo lag and acts as secondary alternator

other good mods are:
-hi flow thermostat
-3.9 diff