wok

AOMC magazine aftermaket EFI style carbs require VASS

G'Day, anyone else get a copy of the latest AOMC magazine, where is states that on the VicRoads club permit scheme fitting a FItech, holley sniper or edelbrock Pro EFI style system to originally carburetted cars/engines will requires a VASS certificate....due to the electronic fuel pump...

how many carbie cars are running electric fuel pumps !.....

13-08-2019 1-55-09 PM.jpg

7 hours ago, wok said:

how many carbie cars are running electric fuel pumps !.

holden gemini ran electric fuel pumps standard with a carby. there'd be heaps more similar. 

i'd have assumed you'd need engineer certified because you were changing the emissions controls.. won't be for power reasons, will be to certify it complies with emissions.

the wording there is interesting,..  i'd say it's not an accurate statement 

Difference between Electronic and Electric fuel pumps......?? Might be able to get around it 

The pumps that come in the master kits for the EFI carbs just look like any other inline or intake pump

Under a stock aircleaner i doubt most would spot the new system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting in the aomc meeting notes was that the victorian CPS is currently under review ! Looking forward to hearing the outcome: probably more restrictions ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only things I can find which talk about modifying the fuel system are as follows..
From the club permit guidelines for vehicles cfec3049c908e928074d6a772911d24b.jpg
The relevant section from vsi8
9bc5b520a8d2f729d3ed1218b86e611d.jpg
The section on fuel system in vsb14 was written in 2011 and hasn't been revised yet that I can find. It makes no mention of efi at all.

There is a mention of "optional oem" equipment not needing certification.... Which tacitly says that anything not made in the era of a vehicle, installed by that manufacturer at any point in the correct period, or creates a power increase deemed "significant" must be signed off to pass and has always been the case.

There are so many rules out there that you're pretty much breaking the law every time you back your car out of the driveway.

Some cops used to brag about being able to defect a brand new vehicle if they really put their heads together. So it's all about who is enforcing these laws and what motive there is to book you.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, gerg said:

There are so many rules out there that you're pretty much breaking the law every time you back your car out of the driveway.

Some cops used to brag about being able to defect a brand new vehicle if they really put their heads together. So it's all about who is enforcing these laws and what motive there is to book you.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

Yep, and finding an holley sniper under bonnet will be the least of my worries I reckon !.....

Where the regulations state "refer to vsb 14" this is where to look..
https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb_ncop.aspx
The VASS links..
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration/vehicle-modifications-and-defects/vehicle-modifications/vass-approval-certificate
You can download the VSI8 pdf from that page which covers Vic regulations that may differ from national. Basically, follow that to build a car with additional information from vsb14/ncop. There's only slight differences allowed for club plates as pointed to above, I think it was vsi33, which vary depending on year of the vehicle being built.