xfish

One wire alternator

Hey guys, We are ready to mount my 140amp ( one wire alternator )on to my XF (250 crossflow), and have come into a conundrum. The instructions state that the alternator has to be earth, but have seen instances where it has not been earthed. Can some inform me of why it can work 'not being earthed' and 'being earthed'?

I think the point of separate earthing is to avoid the reliance on a good electrical contact between the mount boss, the bolt, any spacers in between, and the block which all or at least some may be painted or rusty and not conduct whatever amps the alternator is capable of.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

As long as the engine block earth is ok, with appropriate gauge cable for 140A (battery to block, and engine block to body),

then the alternator will be earthed just by being bolted to the engine.

10 hours ago, xfish said:

Yes, thats how my set-up is. And worse case scenario, is that if it isn't earthed right, the alternator wont charge?

i think you'd find if it's not earthed well, it could overcharge? and or not charge.. i've had overcharging when the earth wire came out of the battery clamp once.. well, i think that's what happened? was before i had a clue about most things. 

So, quick question.. have any of you guys used one of the Bullet low mount altrrnator" brackets to suit an electric water pump?? Just tossing up to get an early (VN to VT) or late (aftermarket like MSD, Powerhouse, tuff) 140a alt to suit and wondering if one lines up better than the other with the crank pulley. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk