Server maintenance Read more... ×
xfish

Cutting the water pump on 250 crossflow

Hey guys, I've attached a set of dual thermo fans to my 250 crossflow ( years ago ), and have always been hindered by the  shaft of the water pump that the original fan was mounted to, because it  makes the removal of the thermo fans a pain in the ass. Is it possible to cut off the thread/shaft ( because it's redundant without viscous fan )on the water pump without causing damage to the water pump?

mine was cut off on My crossflow, it annoyed me because i wanted to refit a clutch fan and needed to buy a new water pump

if you were going to do it' i'd consider the heat you might put into it if using a grinder(do it in stages) or use a hacksaw etc

No you won't affect anything inside the pump, but if only for the risk of butchering things, access with a grinder/cutoff disc might require removing the belt and pulley.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ESPSIX said:

I’ve done it, on the car, no issues in years, but went slow.

but why don’t you just buy the non viscous fan water pump?

might need a new pulley? or does the fan clutch one fit both pumps(has a big hole in middle so no support other than the bolts

9 hours ago, deankdx said:

might need a new pulley? or does the fan clutch one fit both pumps(has a big hole in middle so no support other than the bolts

Yes you will, but as chestnut said, will be the larger, so better for less cavitation.

you can find one usally on e bay or gum tree,about 20 or 30 bux or pay 200 and get a light alloy one by clarkos or speedway shops,but they are dual belt i think.

I modify the sexy ally proflow clevo pulleys and older xf non air con water pumps to give way more fan clearance.

But for a budget option slicing the threads off is no problem. You will find that the shaft material is very hard. Take it slow or cool the shaft with compressed air as you cut it to avoid damaging the pump seal.

d33c6aa6b0d2a87454e2bc4c46980216.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 7/16/2019 at 7:21 AM, ando76 said:

I modify the sexy ally proflow clevo pulleys and older xf non air con water pumps to give way more fan clearance.

But for a budget option slicing the threads off is no problem. You will find that the shaft material is very hard. Take it slow or cool the shaft with compressed air as you cut it to avoid damaging the pump seal.

d33c6aa6b0d2a87454e2bc4c46980216.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reviving an old topic here, having a bit of clearance trouble. I’ve already cut the thread off my pump. 

Will a non ac pump give me more clearance again? And will a standard pulley work as an alternative to the clevo one mentioned