Server maintenance Read more... ×
EgoXF

Xd headlights into XF

Hey guys. I'm starting the process of wiring up the ute and I have a few questions about the headlight wiring for this conversion. My plan is to use as much as the original XF loom that I can, so I have cut the plug off of an XF headlight with the hope of joining it onto the XD headlight. My issue is that the XF had a separate high beam globe where as the XD just has a single globe, so I need to know if I can wire it in a way that allows the XF switches to control the high beams on the XD lights. I don't have an XD that I can look at so any help would be appreciated, cheers! 7965f5eeb1475cdc32be7ddaf78360cf.jpg00e719e10429f3018b3da5eec63c913b.jpgc281c8364a2afc9ae9b98ad0d91bc04d.jpgf40e4013ff548fbb875842500d6f622b.jpgc26b44d5af151ce7f146740cfcaf7b0a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

short answer.. yes.
should be almost plug and play.

the XF "separate high beam" is not really needed. 

if you asked this before chopping up the loom i'd have given the tip to remove the wiring from the XF headlight shell intact(fun job getting the gromet out)

then you could plug the headlight plug straight onto the XD light. 

possibly plug the blinker globe holder straight into the blinker housing?

possibly plug the parker wires straight on the parker globe

wiring "done" 
you can neaten it up from there..
this info should give you all you need to solder/join the wires back up .. the XF had high beam on the H4 globe, and also on the H1? like a spotlight. where the XD is "missing" the spotlight (XE GHIA light would be direct plug in  for eg)

Edited by deankdx
wording edit

Thanks Dean that helps a lot. I'll run the XF wires through a new gromet and solder them back together. The XF indicator globe holder fits the XD indicator so I'll pop that in and seperate the wires from the main loom

Dean beat me to it, but yeah should be easy as. Almost all Falcons have had H4 (or sealed Beam) as their main headlight, including XD/E/F. XF had H4 (which does high and low beam), as well as a H3 for just high beam.

All you'll be doing is bypassing/ignoring/deleting the H3 because the H4 will work the same way.

I ended up just using the XF wiring. The grommet from the XF light fits the XD backing so I just transfered them over. As for wiring, I just cut the XF parker plug off and joined the XD terminals onto it. Then I just cut the seperate high beam wires off at the plug. Easy as 73d1d8e7ba04bf00e48138e84c8b35fe.jpg

Pop sum split tube now over your electrical tape to make it look pretty. Good job.
Yeah I'll be using split loom, but eventually I'll be making shrouds for the headlights so you won't see any of it