Boingk

XR6 6 speed manual into XF?

Hey gents, quick question...

...will an XR6 6-speed manual box fit up to an XF with a crossflow 6cyl?

I have the option to buy one locally for cheap so figured it may be worth it.

sorry it won't with the 4.0 bellhousing , crossflow has a different bellhousing pattern to 4.0, I did hear a rumor that t56 and t5 have the same mount pattern to the bellhousing but I don't have any solid evidence it does

10 minutes ago, Thom said:

sorry it won't with the 4.0 bellhousing , crossflow has a different bellhousing pattern to 4.0, I did hear a rumor that t56 and t5 have the same mount pattern to the bellhousing but I don't have any solid evidence it does

even if it did bolt up, you'd not be able to use 6th without a diff ratio around 4.11 anyway ? aren't they 0.5 ratio for 6th..

Yeah they're stupid low ratios in 5th and 6th (.76 and .50 I think) but its a new box from a written off car for $500. Can't argue with the price. I already have a 3.55 diff set to go in so shouln't be too bad in the bottom 5 gears.

I'll look and see if they mate to a T5 bellhousing.

Cheers!

Unfortunately they won't. They have a totally different method of locating to the bellhousing than your traditional toploader or BW box. The older ones use the outside of the bearing retainer to fit snugly inside the back of the bell to keep it all concentric. The T56 uses the bolts and probably dowels to locate.

The older boxes also have the sleeve built in to the snout that the throwout bearing runs on. The T56 uses a concentric slave.

T56s have a very wide mounting flange that flares out from the casing that appears to be nearly as wide as the mouth of the bellhousing itself. It definitely looks too wide for any T5 mountings I've seen.

There are adaptors available, but it would be expensive landing one here

https://www.tickperformance.com/t56-mounting-adapter-plate-swap-applications/

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

good to know, gerg, I'll put that rumor down on my list as false, t56 and t5 don't have the same mounting flange
Now don't quote me on that being the case 100% of the time, as that adaptor I linked to is for a GM or Viper pattern. The Ford one is possibly different again.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk