Server maintenance Read more... ×
Lankymanxg

Power steering belt replacement

On start up one of the belts squeel for 10-20 seconds then drops and I think it's the power steering belt and I'm just wandering what's involved in tightening it,it's my first Ford so I'm unfamiliar with the tensioner

I think it would be more likely to be the alternator belt, rather than the steer belt.

The steer belt is under very little load unless you are turning, whereas the alternator starts charging at a high level immediately on start to recover the charge lost while cranking, then reduces charge rate.

That said, it would pay to check all belts.

What is the car, what engine?

39 minutes ago, Fingers said:

I think it would be more likely to be the alternator belt, rather than the steer belt.

The steer belt is under very little load unless you are turning, whereas the alternator starts charging at a high level immediately on start to recover the charge lost while cranking, then reduces charge rate.

That said, it would pay to check all belts.

What is the car, what engine?

It's an xg ute with the 4.0 six

if you want to confirm which belt it is, tip or spray some water on the belt pulley of the alternator pulley and belt.. then start the car..
this will cause the the belt to slip rather than squeel.. i'd bet it's alternator also 

56 minutes ago, deankdx said:

if you want to confirm which belt it is, tip or spray some water on the belt pulley of the alternator pulley and belt.. then start the car..
this will cause the the belt to slip rather than squeel.. i'd bet it's alternator also 

I just checked and your right it's the alternator belt,seems a little loose,what do I have to do to tighten it?

25 minutes ago, Lankymanxg said:

I just checked and your right it's the alternator belt,seems a little loose,what do I have to do to tighten it?

if you have plenty of knuckles, try adjust it.. 
if a mechanic quoted $20 to do it, i'd pay it.. what a shit job if it's auto with the cooler lines in the way 

On 6/16/2019 at 8:50 AM, Fingers said:

Check the condition of the belts also. Look for cracks on the inside in particular.

A broken belt can really wreck your day.

I replaced the belt and the squeeking hasn't stopped,how much slack is meant to be in it?