Lankymanxg

Fuel pump issue

Ok I've got another issue with my xg,first thing in the morning I start it and it seems to idle rough till it warms up and also my fuel pump doesn't stop buzzing/humming the whole time it's running,does this mean the pump is about to fail,I don't like the idea of being stranded with a stuffed pump

the last few pumps I had die on me all just stopped,

and usually once the car is running I cant hear the pumps over the engine/exhaust noise

check for crap in the tank as well, my NL Fairlane has killed two pump, as the fuel was pretty stale and created some kind of syrup style stuff in the tank,

I would at least go buy one and have it with you !

5 minutes ago, wok said:

the last few pumps I had die on me all just stopped,

and usually once the car is running I cant hear the pumps over the engine/exhaust noise

check for crap in the tank as well, my NL Fairlane has killed two pump, as the fuel was pretty stale and created some kind of syrup style stuff in the tank,

I would at least go buy one and have it with you !

Yea I'll go get one,what would be the best way to check for crud? Just by eye or is is safe to feel around in the tank,if it helps I've only had the car a week and the fuel pump got louder after a couple days,I don't think it would but would low octane fuel hurt it,I could of got a bad batch too

yeah on the Fairlane I just put my hand in the tank with a rag and wiped the base/sides, and came back soaked in fuel but also with the syrupy crap....plan to pull the tank out totally this weekend, and give a good clean out,

the bad fuel may cause  idle issues, I would also check the usual easy stuff, battery and earth connections, spark plugs/leads and check for any vacuum leaks particularly on intake manifold gasket(s)

is/was there any excessive water / condensation out the exhaust  on start up, might also pay to check head gasket leaks (oil in water/ water in oil, water in exhaust (my EF head gasket leaked into cylinder bore so would get rough idle (effectively 5 cylinders) until hot enough to evaporate the coolant in cylinder and then would run OK

10 minutes ago, wok said:

yeah on the Fairlane I just put my hand in the tank with a rag and wiped the base/sides, and came back soaked in fuel but also with the syrupy crap....plan to pull the tank out totally this weekend, and give a good clean out,

the bad fuel may cause  idle issues, I would also check the usual easy stuff, battery and earth connections, spark plugs/leads and check for any vacuum leaks particularly on intake manifold gasket(s)

is/was there any excessive water / condensation out the exhaust  on start up, might also pay to check head gasket leaks (oil in water/ water in oil, water in exhaust (my EF head gasket leaked into cylinder bore so would get rough idle (effectively 5 cylinders) until hot enough to evaporate the coolant in cylinder and then would run OK

Ok I might give it a go cleaning it,as for condensation it seems normal to me,no different to any other car,had a look under the car at the fuel filter and it looks old could that be an issue,fun times..car troubles with no funds to fix it haha

the XG has a steel tank, if the car sat for years with stale fuel it could be rusted(mine was rusted through and leaked even)

you'll need to look in there regardless

28 minutes ago, deankdx said:

the XG has a steel tank, if the car sat for years with stale fuel it could be rusted(mine was rusted through and leaked even)

you'll need to look in there regardless

Yea I had a look it does have some rust so I'll give it a clean as best I can,I would drain the fuel and do it properly but don't have enough containers for an almost full tank,I might change fuel filter cos it looks old,might even pull it out just to see if it's blocked

48 minutes ago, Lankymanxg said:

car troubles with no funds to fix it haha

yeah not ideal, but there's heaps you can check and clean etc for little to no cost other than time... that's where I always start....

2 hours ago, wok said:

yeah not ideal, but there's heaps you can check and clean etc for little to no cost other than time... that's where I always start....

Yea I always seem to find something,I took the spark plugs out and cleaned them and one of the boots on a spark plug lead was split,taped it up for now and seems to be idling fine now

19 minutes ago, Lankymanxg said:

Yea I always seem to find something,I took the spark plugs out and cleaned them and one of the boots on a spark plug lead was split,taped it up for now and seems to be idling fine now

👍👍