Senna117

Looking for 250 crossflow extractors

Hi guys I own a 76 XC, It has a stock 4.1L straight-6. Ive had it for 2 years and have enjoyed it but feel like i need a bit more noise and power now, can someone give me a point in the right direction on where to look for extractors, websites, brands, tips, really anything. Thank you

Snapchat-666323152.jpg

for Me, on stock engine's i wouldn't even bother fitting extractors. 
just fit a bigger exhaust with sports muffler. 
one of the best crossflows i heard was still running the manifold with the pipe stepped up to 2.5" and ran with one straight through muffler.

you'll probably find it will lose bottom end power with the bigger exhaust, so maybe try just a 2 inch straight through muffler first(cheap also)

I feel like a whole new exhaust and muffler will cost a bit too much for what I want, I don't want to ruin the cars originality too much and with the extractors it will be bolt on and off quickly if i want to swap back, if its not enough i can buy a little muffler afterwards, can you recommend any brands? I've seen "Pacemakers", "Tiger Headers" and "Hurricane headers". 

in My opinion extractors make no difference to exhaust sound other than you can hear more engine noise at the front. 

a sports muffler replacing the current one will be $100 fitted. cheaper than any extractors and your starter motor and accelerator cable etc doesn't get cooked(extractors get hot)

otherwise, wait for more replies, but if you only want it to sound better, that's what i'd do. (it won't go any better just by fitting extractors.. the manifold isn't a restriction on a standard engine)

All of those brands are good, but don't expect the stock paint finish to last more than a few months. Not a problem if you don't care too much about appearance.

On a stocker, I would go with a 6-2-1 design, which joins 1,2 & 3 in one group and 4,5 & 6 in the other. This configuration is also easier to fit and clears everything by a more reasonable distance than the other design, which is 6-3-1. This is a more racey design that pairs 1 & 6, 2 & 5, 3 & 4 together then merges each of the 3 pairs for 360° pulse tuning. This is a higher rpm design. These extractors are generally more expensive too.

Pacemaker makes both kinds, not sure about the other brands.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

its hard to go past pacemakers i fitted them on my engine and come with correct gasket,bolts,and bolt on flange,for $400 its worth it,i run a 2 1/2 exhaust with stainless muffler straight thru,all up was $850.

Thanks guys, @CHESTNUTXE is yours a 6-2-1 design for the stock motor? My piping is 1.8 inches all through and dont think 230km motor would work well with a 2 1/2 exhaust. I would just like the extractors for a bit bigger piping plus mine is 6-1 would be interesting to see with bigger pipes and 6-2-1. May as well get the pacemakers just wanted something more and cant go past all the positive comments. Thank you @deankdx its my 1st time doing an exhaust and like to learn from experience, ill let you know if the extractors change the sound at the back

Thanks guys, [mention=7196]CHESTNUTXE[/mention] is yours a 6-2-1 design for the stock motor? My piping is 1.8 inches all through and dont think 230km motor would work well with a 2 1/2 exhaust. I would just like the extractors for a bit bigger piping plus mine is 6-1 would be interesting to see with bigger pipes and 6-2-1. May as well get the pacemakers just wanted something more and cant go past all the positive comments. Thank you [mention=291]deankdx[/mention] its my 1st time doing an exhaust and like to learn from experience, ill let you know if the extractors change the sound at the back
Hmmm gerg is the expert on that but quality the pacemaker has,just run a 2 inch then 2 1/4 is not really used much anymore but you can stillget it

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

Hmmm gerg is the expert on that but quality the pacemaker has,just run a 2 inch then 2 1/4 is not really used much anymore but you can stillget it

Im not so good with all the terminology, do you mean run a 2 inch from the extractors all the way back? 

Looking at it i believe it may actually fit i believe i only need the top right hole and the bottom left gap they've got open. I think having all the holes are for other models. Did you have to cut or modify yours at all? @CHESTNUTXE

Looking at it i believe it may actually fit i believe i only need the top right hole and the bottom left gap they've got open. I think having all the holes are for other models. Did you have to cut or modify yours at all? [mention=7196]CHESTNUTXE[/mention]
They should have 2 sets of holes on the header flange why not just ring and find out but no no mods just bolt on and lay down a rubber road

2-1/2" is no big deal. Exhausts are a semi-consumable item so if/when someone wants to buy your car later down the track, originality in that regard isn't an issue as long as you don't go stupid with a 3" staino system and fart can out the back. As long as you go subtle with a decent turbo muffler in the standard place and the whole lot looks like it should be there, that's what you should aim for.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Senna117 said:

Looking at it i believe it may actually fit i believe i only need the top right hole and the bottom left gap they've got open. I think having all the holes are for other models. Did you have to cut or modify yours at all? @CHESTNUTXE

That's how mine look on my iron head crossflow too, just some of those bolt holes don't get used. Looks crap IMO but I believe that's just how they are.

2DyPjAI.jpg

Extractors and larger exhaust are the generic first upgrades and obviously will make it louder. But whether you like louder or not is a matter of personal preference. Previous owner put extractors and a single 2.5" exhaust (with a 3" tailpipe section) on my 250 and I actually almost hate it. He absolutely loved the sound, but it gives me a ringing headache. Just two opposite ends of the scale with what some people like and others don't like.

2% of the time I get a bit of enjoyment when coasting down hill in 3rd gear, it sounds alight. But otherwise it's just loud.

Power-wise, I don't know what it was like before the extractors and exhaust, but it hasn't got much guts now, so I hope it wasn't worse before - my suspicion is it's the same, just louder.

P.S. I love your XC, looks great!

34 minutes ago, macman said:

That's how mine look on my iron head crossflow too, just some of those bolt holes don't get used. Looks crap IMO but I believe that's just how they are.

2DyPjAI.jpg

Extractors and larger exhaust are the generic first upgrades and obviously will make it louder. But whether you like louder or not is a matter of personal preference. Previous owner put extractors and a single 2.5" exhaust (with a 3" tailpipe section) on my 250 and I actually almost hate it. He absolutely loved the sound, but it gives me a ringing headache. Just two opposite ends of the scale with what some people like and others don't like.

2% of the time I get a bit of enjoyment when coasting down hill in 3rd gear, it sounds alight. But otherwise it's just loud.

Power-wise, I don't know what it was like before the extractors and exhaust, but it hasn't got much guts now, so I hope it wasn't worse before - my suspicion is it's the same, just louder.

P.S. I love your XC, looks great!

Thanks Macman i like yours too, is it a cortina? Some people enjoy the ear rape but theres an art to it, i like the sound of mine but want a BIT more noise so im hoping extractors will do it. I rang around and it will fit on but need to take it to a shop to get the 2 1/2 outlet taken down to i believe mine is around 1.8 inches. Might not follow through with the extractors as im told its a permanent modification and the old cant be put back on

I thought my xflow sounded ok, it had a generic set of extractors with a 2.25 inch exhaust a straight through muffler and a resonator here's the same setup in 2 different cars, when the engine went from my xe to the xp it used the extrctors and the whole exhaust system of the xe (with 1 bend modified to suit the xp)

Thanks Macman i like yours too, is it a cortina? Some people enjoy the ear rape but theres an art to it, i like the sound of mine but want a BIT more noise so im hoping extractors will do it. I rang around and it will fit on but need to take it to a shop to get the 2 1/2 outlet taken down to i believe mine is around 1.8 inches. Might not follow through with the extractors as im told its a permanent modification and the old cant be put back on
you could just pull the whole exhaust system and manifold off to store them and then fit extractors and a new exhaust system so you could go back to stock if you ever wanted to

2 hours ago, Senna117 said:

Might not follow through with the extractors as im told its a permanent modification and the old cant be put back on

you can easily go back to the standard exhaust.. if a shop is telling you they can't it's time to go elsewhere.
a smart exhaust shop could cut the standard pipe and put a flange there to join to the extractors, then if you wanted to bolt the stock manifold back on, could have a flange fitted to the engine pipe off the manifold.

i'd love to see what it's like before and after.. take some videos and put them on youtube to share here.  could even do a 0-100kmh run with the phone to time it..

4 hours ago, Thom said:
5 hours ago, Senna117 said:

you could just pull the whole exhaust system and manifold off to store them and then fit extractors and a new exhaust system so you could go back to stock if you ever wanted to

Your cars sounded quite nice wouldnt mind that noise but not bothered enough to do that much right now

2 hours ago, deankdx said:

you can easily go back to the standard exhaust.. if a shop is telling you they can't it's time to go elsewhere.
a smart exhaust shop could cut the standard pipe and put a flange there to join to the extractors, then if you wanted to bolt the stock manifold back on, could have a flange fitted to the engine pipe off the manifold.

i'd love to see what it's like before and after.. take some videos and put them on youtube to share here.  could even do a 0-100kmh run with the phone to time it..

2 shops told me they would have to fabricate new pipe and weld it to the existing pipe, Im tempted to just grab and cut my own pipe, slide it over the existing and new then clamp both ends of it down tightly. Would that work?

And 0-100? Ill give you 100-120 which takes twice as long :D 

38 minutes ago, Senna117 said:

2 shops told me they would have to fabricate new pipe and weld it to the existing pipe, Im tempted to just grab and cut my own pipe, slide it over the existing and new then clamp both ends of it down tightly. Would that work?

And 0-100? Ill give you 100-120 which takes twice as long :D 

yeah it does depend if the pipes align, they sometimes need a bit of an S shape bend in the pipe to line up(this takes a competent exhaust shop like 10-15 mins all up) 

100-120 would have to be quicker than My diesel cars here(diesel mazda van barely gets to 120, actually i think i saw 118 on the GPS once.. the diesel gemini can go much faster... takes a while though)

56 minutes ago, Senna117 said:

Im tempted to just grab and cut my own pipe, slide it over the existing and new then clamp both ends of it down tightly. Would that work?

this was a mates car(Rambler V8) 

see the S bend, that's often what's needed for the extractors on falcons 
if you can see the tek screws, that's what My mate did for about a weeks driving until i came and welded it with an arc welder.. it's bodgy.. 
i would  pay someone to do it properly. working with old crusty exhausts can be a very very bad idea for your first project

lpFcLq1.jpg

9 hours ago, deankdx said:

this was a mates car(Rambler V8) 

see the S bend, that's often what's needed for the extractors on falcons 
if you can see the tek screws, that's what My mate did for about a weeks driving until i came and welded it with an arc welder.. it's bodgy.. 
i would  pay someone to do it properly. working with old crusty exhausts can be a very very bad idea for your first project

lpFcLq1.jpg

Thanks Dean, ive learnt alot over the past day and its clear to me its not as simple as I hoped. Im going to speak around before making a decision, definitely want things done right

45 minutes ago, Senna117 said:

Thanks Dean, ive learnt alot over the past day and its clear to me its not as simple as I hoped. Im going to speak around before making a decision, definitely want things done right

one of the best lessons i ever learned(most of the time...) is KEEP IT STOCK.

don't modify it. everything you modify costs more than you first thought/heard etc. especially if you need someone else to fit/tune it.

if i had that XC .. i'd leave it as is.