Server maintenance Read more... ×
Emily91

What are this?

Hey guys n gals I'm Emily , ive got an 1986 XF Fairmont with 4.1L ....What's the pipe that goes from the exhaust to the air cleaner ...its got two plastic what look like valves ....is it necessary ? ...my crappy phone won't let me upload a picture due to " low memory " ... 😕

Hi Emily, 
try the tapatalk app, it's free and you should be able to attach a photo easily with it.

i vaguely remember something like you are describing, but has been ages since seeing one.

what's wrong with it? they probably assist in warming up the engine or other pollution gizmo. 
@SPArKy_Dave may have an XF in his museum with that hose
or @Jewing15 is about due to update us on Her XF wagon which is a similar model and quite orignal, may be able to show a photo for us

Sounds like the pulse air injection, puts fresh air into the exhaust to make it seem as though it runs cleaner, the plastic things are valves that prevent the exhaust gases entering the air cleaner if I remember correctly.

Yeah sounds like that, it's to supply the cat converter enough oxygen to burn off all the nasties that a carby engine makes.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Emily91 said:

I've decided to go with a Holley 650 double pumper and extractors , 2,1/2" straight pipe w sports muffler .....

@CHESTNUTXE might give you some tips, i wouldn't have thought that carby would be a good match without some decent engine work. 

unless you are doing a lot of engine work at least. 

465 is a perfect match for a warm 250, don't go off CFM rating for the 2-barrel carbs, they're not rated on the same scale as 4-barrels.

A 350 2-barrel is really about 280 and the 500 is about 360. A 650 DP like Dean said is a bit big for that engine, might require a bit of work to get it running right.

Good rule of thumb I like to use is take the target HP and double it for the required carb CFM. Realistically, a healthy crossy would be in the 200-220 HP range without major work and lots of know-how. With this in mind, a carby between 400 and 500 would suit best.

There is a 4-barrel Edelbrock 500 that might fit the bill:

https://www.edelbrock.com/performer-series-500-cfm-carburetor-with-electric-choke-in-satin-non-egr-1403.html

Oil pump failed , got a new x-flow engine to put in next weekend , going to rebuild the XFs old motor ... Gonna go nuts on it , new pistons , oil pump , wild cam ...the whole hog . gonna take a while but hopefully be ready by October for a memorial cruise 

Oil pump failed , got a new x-flow engine to put in next weekend , going to rebuild the XFs old motor ... Gonna go nuts on it , new pistons , oil pump , wild cam ...the whole hog . gonna take a while but hopefully be ready by October for a memorial cruise 

Going to beat everyone in to it, make sure it’s a standard volume oil pump not high volume !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, dex said:

Wait for it 

3 hours ago, Mixalis said:

Going to beat everyone in to it, make sure it’s a standard volume oil pump not high volume ! emoji3.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha ha, ando will be here soon boys don't worry, gotta love how we all instantly knew what the joke was