Just a question as some times alternative oils run better than what leaves the factory.

What oil grade should I be useing in a T5. It was originally out of Ed I was told going behind a cleveland

thanks in advance. Dals

13 hours ago, dvfalcon said:

Thanks Dean what additive/ what  is the additive for

Dale

i have never used it in a T5, but after putting it in My noisy gemini gearbox and it reduced the noise at least 30%(it's still stuffed) i'd imagine it would help any gearbox.

i'm going to try it in My other gemini with stuffed 2nd synchro just to see if it helps there also.

Nulon G70 .. check it's fine to use with transmission fluid, if not, there is one that is for that 

link is just to show,  you can get it at repco, autobarn supacheap etc 

https://www.sparesbox.com.au/part/nulon-manual-gearbox-and-diff-treatment-125g-g70?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr426paqh4gIVRiQrCh0rJQmsEAYYAiABEgI2JPD_BwE

UlRM2o6.jpg

Synthetic ATF would hold up better behind a clevo. Lubrizol is the Ford-approved one but G70 is the widely accepted additive.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

Definitely run ATF. Some places recommend gear oil but it's too thick for T5s and makes them feel a lot harder to shift.

Penrite also do an additive for manual box's, specifically designed for Ford and Holden 5 speeds of the 90s, and any other box that runs ATF

Can find it on the shelf of most Repcos, maybe elsewhere.

https://penriteoil.com.au/products/penrite-4297-transmission-additive#/

ce8be89dff4a72f1e4722ec956e743a0.jpg

Definitely run ATF. Some places recommend gear oil but it's too thick for T5s and makes them feel a lot harder to shift.

Penrite also do an additive for manual box's, specifically designed for Ford and Holden 5 speeds of the 90s, and any other box that runs ATF

Can find it on the shelf of most Repcos, maybe elsewhere.

https://penriteoil.com.au/products/penrite-4297-transmission-additive#/

ce8be89dff4a72f1e4722ec956e743a0.jpg

Definitely run ATF. Some places recommend gear oil but it's too thick for T5s and makes them feel a lot harder to shift

Thick oil is no good in any box with needle rollers. The oil has insufficient flow properties to properly lubricate and cool the intricate components.

Gear oil is ok if it is fibre clutch compatible. This means EP oil is NOT compatible. It will delaminate the fibre synchro linings and also the brass synchros get eaten by the sulfur EP additive in the oil.

I actually think that T5s are marginal behind a V8 and have been looking for a heavier-duty version of ATF to go in mine. Until now though, Dex III with additives is as good as it gets.

DXIII, as has already been stated, Is the Tremec approved oil for WC T5 gearboxes.
IMO, Don't run additives as a general rule. But i have used G70 in T5's before, with no harm done. But this was before I learnt what I now know about oils.

If you want to learn some garbage, read on. Otherwise you can stop here.

Experimentally i recently did research for a fully synthetic replacement for DXIII that would be suitable for the T5. To help it with Heat and pressure stress from track use (abuse?)
I have since started using Pentrite ATF FS. https://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/atf-fs-full-syn#/
I purchased a 20L drum and use it (almost) wherever DXII or DXIII is specified. I have only done about 5,000km so far with the oil in my T5, and am having good results thus far. However it is way too early to say there wont be long term issues. So if you want the safe bet, go DXIII.

I decided to use Penrite ATF FS as an experement in my T5 since my 2nd-3rd shift under power was blocking. I suspected it was rooted and am expecting to replace (or rebuild) the box sometime. But after replacing the DXIII oil with ATF FS, shifting in all gears has improved and the shift up to 3rd does not block me under power anymore.
To expand on that, the oil i removed was stressed, having been used for a track day. So simply replacing the oil with fresh DXIII may have had the same effect. So don't go running around telling people that the ATF FS will fix shitty T5's.
To expand on that, Tremec themselves do TELL us in the T5 manual, to change the oil regularly. Especially in severe use conditions. Using a fully synthetic may improve longevity of the oil when compared to DXIII.

This is all just conjecture. And without spending a lot of time and money driving, switching oils and doing oil trend analysis, that is not going to change. 
If someone wants to sponsor me i'll go ahead and get started? No? ... Damn

One downside to using synthetic (apart from cost) is that it finds leaks much more easily. Other than that, you can expect 3 times the service life of regular mineral oil

Thanks for your help all gear box is in and it moves car not finished enough to drive. Just another question. What floor gear stick boot should I use. T5 in a Xe.

thanks Dale

From memory ( I did it 10 years ago ) the original boot works, but I got rid of the rubber block thing on the gear stick, then bolted the top half of the stick to the wrong side of the bottom half so the top half lined up better in the console hole.

sorry, don’t know how else to explain it.

and don’t have pics.

From memory ( I did it 10 years ago ) the original boot works, but I got rid of the rubber block thing on the gear stick, then bolted the top half of the stick to the wrong side of the bottom half so the top half lined up better in the console hole.
sorry, don’t know how else to explain it.
and don’t have pics.
I did this exact thing, but along with a self-made short shifter. Eliminating the rubber isolator gets rid of a lot of slop in the gear shift, especially when that rubber gets a bit squishy with age. Swapping sides on the stick brings it a tad closer to the driver which is handy in a car so wide. You can bring it even closer by spacing it out with a few washers between the shifter and the stick.

Just for those after the gear stick for the floor. Had trouble sourcing a XE so I ended up at the GT SHOP. To see what the has and if I could use it, the had repo ones for a XC that worked a treate2975049b7729fb12946eae9c26268a4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk